Open Packing for Facade-Layout Synthesis Under a General Purpose Solver
Facade-layout synthesis occurs when renovating buildings to improve their thermal insulation and reduce the impact of heating on the environment. This interesting problem involves to cover a facade with a set of disjoint and configurable insulating panels. Therefore, it can be seen as a constrained rectangle packing problem, but for which the number of rectangles to be used and their size are not known a priori. This paper proposes an efficient way of solving this problem using constraint programming. The model is based on an open variant of the DiffN global constraint in order to deal with an unfixed number of rectangles, as well as a simple but efficient search procedure to solve this problem. An empirical evaluation shows the practical impact of every choice in the design of our model. A prototype implemented in the general purpose solver Choco is intended to assist architect decision-making in the context of building thermal retrofit.
KeywordsConstraint Programming Constraint Satisfaction Problem Building Information Model Global Constraint Layout Plan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.The Energy Conservation Center: Energy Conservation Handbook. The Energy Conservation Center, Japan (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Charman, P.: Solving space planning problems using constraint technology (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.U.S. Green Building Council: New Construction Reference Guide (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Falcon, M., Fontanili, F.: Process modelling of industrialized thermal renovation of apartment buildings. In: eWork and eBusiness in Architecture, Engineering and Construction, pp. 363–368 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Imahori, S., Yagiura, M., Nagamochi, H.: Practical algorithms for two-dimensional packing. Chapter 36 of Handbook of Approximation Algorithms and Metaheuristics (Chapman & Hall/Crc Computer & Information Science Series) (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Prud’homme, C., Fages, J.G.: An introduction to Choco 3.0, an open source java constraint programming library. In: International workshop on CP Solvers: Modeling, Applications, Integration, and Standardization, Uppsala, Sweden (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Schulte, C., Tack, G., Lagerkvist, M.Z.: Modeling and programming with Gecode (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Smith, B.M.: Modelling for constraint programming (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.van Hoeve, W.-J., Hooker, J.N. (eds.): CPAIOR 2009. LNCS, vol. 5547. Springer, Heidelberg (2009) Google Scholar
- 23.Vareilles, E., Barco Santa, A.F., Falcon, M., Aldanondo, M., Gaborit, P.: Configuration of high performance apartment buildings renovation: a constraint based approach. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), pp. 684–688, December 2013Google Scholar