Designing for Inconsistency – The Dependency-Based PERICLES Approach
The rise of the Semantic Web has provided cultural heritage researchers and practitioners with several tools for ensuring semantic-rich representations and interoperability of cultural heritage collections. Although indeed offering a lot of advantages, these tools, which come mostly in the form of ontologies and related vocabularies, do not provide a conceptual model for capturing contextual and environmental dependencies contributing to long-term digital preservation. This paper presents one of the key outcomes of the PERICLES FP7 project, the Linked Resource Model, for modelling dependencies as a set of evolving linked resources. The proposed model is evaluated via a domain-specific representation involving digital video art.
KeywordsDigital preservation LRM Ontology Digital video art Dependency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Australian Government Recordkeeping Metadata Standard Version 2.0 Implementation Guidelines (2010). www.naa.gov.au/records-management/publications/agrk-metadata-standard.aspx (accessed: Apr-15)
- 2.Digital Preservation Coalition: Digital Preservation Handbook. York, UK (2008). www.dpconline.org/advice/preservationhandbook (accessed: Apr-15)
- 3.Doerr, M.: The CIDOC CRM, an Ontological Approach to Schema Heterogeneity. Semantic Interoperability and Integration 4391 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Doerr, M., Theodoridou, M.: CRMdig: a generic digital provenance model for scientific observation. In: 3rd USENIX Workshop on the Theory and Practice of Provenance, TaPP 2011, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, June 20–21, 2011Google Scholar
- 5.Knublauch, H., Hendler, J. A., Idehen, K.: SPIN - overview and motivation. World Wide Web Consortium, W3C Member Submission, February 2011Google Scholar
- 7.PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata (Official Web Site), The Library of congress, USA. www.loc.gov/standards/premis/ (accessed: Apr-15)
- 8.Rice, D.: Sustaining Consistent Video Presentation. Tate Research Articles, March 2015. www.tate.org.uk/research/publications/sustaining-consistent-video-presentation (accessed: Apr-15)
- 9.The Open Provenance Model Core Specification (v1.1). http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/271449/1/opm.pdf (accessed: Apr-15)
- 11.Tzitzikas, Y., Marketakis, Y., Antoniou, G.: Task-based dependency management for the preservation of digital objects using rules. In: Konstantopoulos, S., Perantonis, S., Karkaletsis, V., Spyropoulos, C.D., Vouros, G. (eds.) SETN 2010. LNCS, vol. 6040, pp. 265–274. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar