A Verification-Based Multithreshold Probing Approach to HEp-2 Cell Segmentation
In this paper we propose a novel approach to HEp-2 cell segmentation based on the framework of verification-based multithreshold probing. Cell hypotheses are generated by binarization using hypothetic thresholds and accepted/rejected by a verification procedure. The proposed method has the nice property of combining both adaptive local thresholding and involvement of high-level knowledge. We have realized a prototype implementation using a simple rule-based verification procedure. Experimental evaluation has been performed on two public databases. It is shown that our approach outperforms a number of existing methods.
KeywordsStaining Pattern Prototype Implementation Ground Truth Image Cell Segmentation Watershed Segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chan, Y.K., Huang, D.C., Liu, K.C., Chen, R.T., Jiang, X.: An automatic indirect immunofluorescence cell segmentation system. Mathematical Problems in Engineering 2014, Article ID 501206 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Cheng, C.C., Hsieh, T.Y., Taur, J.S., Chen, Y.F.: An automatic segmentation and classification framework for anti-nuclear antibody images. BioMedical Engineering Online 12(SUPPL 1) (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Foggia, P., Percannella, G., Sansone, C., Vento, M.: A graph-based algorithm for cluster detection. IJPRAI 22(5), 843–860 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Foggia, P., Percannella, G., Soda, P., Vento, M.: Special issue on the analysis and recognition of indirect immuno-fluorescence images. Pattern Recognition 47(7) (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, Y., Chung, C., Hsieh, T., Jao, Y.: Outline detection for the HEp-2 cells in indirect immunofluorescence images using watershed segmentation. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous, and Trustworthy Computing, pp. 423–427 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Huang, Y., Jao, Y., Hsieh, T., Chung, C.: Adaptive automatic segmentation of HEp-2 cells in indirect immunofluorescence images. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Sensor Networks, Ubiquitous, and Trustworthy Computing, pp. 418–422 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Percannella, G., Soda, P., Vento, M.: A classification-based approach to segment HEp-2 cells. In: Proc. of IEEE Int. Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems, pp. 1–5 (2012)Google Scholar