Validation of Knot-Tying Motion by Temporal-Spatial Matching with RGB-D Sensor for Surgical Training
We propose a method for validating surgical knot-tying motions for self-training of surgical trainee. Our method observes their hands by a RGB-D sensor and describes the point cloud as a SHOT feature. We use the features for matching an input point cloud sequence to that of an expert by dynamic programming. On the basis of the matched frames, the method validates relative positions of both hands and each hand shape in each input frame. Then the system detects and shows inappropriate parts in each frame. This paper shows the results of our method on a knot-tying motion dataset of a novice and an expert surgeon.
This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 15H02764.
- 1.Oikonomidis, I., Kyriazis, N., Argyros, A.A.: Tracking the articulated motion of two strongly interacting hands. In: 2012 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), IEEE, pp. 1862–1869 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Biswas, K.K., Basu, S.K.: Gesture recognition using microsoft kinect®. In: 2011 5th International Conference on Automation, Robotics and Applications (ICARA). IEEE, pp. 100–103 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, Y., Ohya, J., Chiba, T., Xu, R., Yamashita, H.: Study of recognizing hand actions from video sequences during suture surgeries based on temporally-sectioned sift and sliding window based neural networks. IEICE Tech. Rep. 113(493), 151–156 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Tombari, F., Salti, S., Stefano, L.D.: Unique signatures of histograms for local surface description. In: Computer Vision-ECCV 2010. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, pp. 356–369 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Ethicon Inc., ‘Knot Tying Manual’. Accessed April 2015 from: http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/surgery/education/resident_info/supplement/suture_manuals/knot_tying_manual.pdf, 2005
- 6.Ogawa, Y., Shimada, N., Shirai, Y., Kurumi, Y., Komori, M.: Temporal-spatial validation of knot-tying procedures using Rgb-D sensor for training of surgical operation. In: IAPR International Conference on Machine Vision Applications (MVA2015), 18–22 May 2015 (accepted for publication)Google Scholar