The xBR\(^+\)-tree: An Efficient Access Method for Points
Spatial indexes, such as those based on Quadtree, are important in spatial databases for efficient execution of queries involving spatial constraints. In this paper, we present improvements of the xBR-tree (a member of the Quadtree family) with modified internal node structure and tree building process, called xBR\(^+\)-tree. We highlight the differences of the algorithms for processing single dataset queries between the xBR and xBR\(^+\)-trees and we demonstrate performance results (I/O efficiency and execution time) of extensive experimentation (based on real and synthetic datasets) on tree building process and processing of single dataset queries, using the two structures. These results show that the two trees are comparable, regarding their building performance, however, the xBR\(^+\)-tree is an overall winner, regarding spatial query processing.
KeywordsSpatial access methods Quadtrees xBR-trees Query processing.
- 1.Beckmann, N., Kriegel, H.P., Schneider, R., Seeger, B.: The R*-tree: an efficient and robust access method for points and rectangles. In: SIGMOD Conference, pp. 322–331 (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Gorawski, M., Bugdol, M.: Cost Model for XBR-tree. In: Kozielski, S., Wrembel, R. (eds.) New Trends in Data Warehousing and Data Analysis. Springer, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Hoel, E.G., Samet, H.: A qualitative comparison study of data structures for large line segment databases. In: SIGMOD Conference, pp. 205–214 (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Hoel, E.G., Samet, H.: Benchmarking spatial join operations with spatial output. In: VLDB Conference, pp. 606–618 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Roumelis, G., Vassilakopoulos, M., Corral, A.: Algorithms for processing Nearest Neighbor Queries using xBR-trees. In: Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, pp. 51–55 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.Samet, H.: The Design and Analysis of Spatial Data Structures. Addison-Wesley, Boston (1990)Google Scholar
- 12.Samet, H.: Applications of Spatial Data Structures: Computer Graphics, Image Processing, and GIS. Addison-Wesley, Boston (1990)Google Scholar
- 15.Vassilakopoulos, M., Manolopoulos, Y.: External balanced regular (x-BR) trees: new structures for very large spatial databases. In: Panhellenic Conference on Informatics, pp. 324–333 (2000)Google Scholar