Virtual Operator Station for Teleoperated Mobile Robots
This paper deals with utilization of a head-mounted display (HMD) for remote control of mobile robots by a human operator. The main goal is to make control of the robot and navigation in unknown terrain easier for the operator by providing stereoscopic images and using virtual reality. Considered is specifically the new HMD device called Oculus Rift, which is a very interesting device because of its great parameters and low price. The device is described in the beginning, together with some of the specific principles of the Oculus 3D display. Then follows the design of a new graphical user interface for teleoperation – virtual operator station, with main focus on visualization of stereoscopic images from robot cameras. Demonstrated is also a way how to display additional data and information to the operator. The resulting interface is a comfortable and highly effective system suitable both for exploration and manipulation tasks in mobile robotics.
KeywordsOperator Teleoperation Mobile robot Head-mounted display HMD Virtual reality Oculus Rift
This article has been supported by specific research project SP2015/152 and financed by the state budget of the Czech Republic.
- 1.Cybernet. Operator Control Unit. http://www.cybernet.com/products/robotics.html
- 2.Orpheus Robotic System Project. http://www.orpheus-project.cz/
- 4.Amanatiadis, A., Gasteratos, A.: Stereo vision system for remotely operated robots. In: Mollet, N. (ed.) Remote and Telerobotics. InTech, Vienna (2010). ISBN 978-953-307-081-0Google Scholar
- 5.Wikipedia. Head-mounted display. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-mounted_display
- 6.Virtual Realities, Ltd. Stereoscopic 3D. http://www.vrealities.com/products/stereoscopic-3d
- 7.Department of Robotics. Hercules. http://robot.vsb.cz/mobile-robots/hercules/
- 8.Kot, T., Krys, V., Mostýn, V., Novák, P.: Control system of a mobile robot manipulator. In: Proceedings of International Carpathian Control Conference (ICCC) (2014). ISBN: 978-1-4577-1867-0Google Scholar
- 9.Oculus, V.R.: Oculus Rift. http://www.oculusvr.com/rift/
- 10.Sensics. xSight HMD. http://sensics.com/head-mounted-displays/technology/xsight-panoramic-hmds/
- 11.Oculus, V.R.: Oculus Rift SDK Overview https://developer.oculusvr.com/
- 12.Wikipedia. Angle of view. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view
- 13.Steptoe, W.: AR-Rift (Part 1). http://willsteptoe.com/post/66968953089/ar-rift-part-1