Bioinformatics for Precision Medicine in Oncology
- Nicolas ServantAffiliated withBioinformatics Platform, Institut CurieUnité INSERM/Institut Curie U900 Email author
- , Philippe HupéAffiliated withBioinformatics Platform, Institut Curie
The availability of high-throughput technologies and their application makes them very attractive for cancer centers offering new opportunities through new clinical tools for daily practice. However, establishing such a clinical facility is not a trivial task due to the complexity of PM framework along with the overwhelming amount of data. From the data management perspective, data integration issue (i.e., merging heterogeneous data in a seamless information system) in oncology can be formulated as follows: a large volume of data is disseminated across a large variety of databases which increase in size at a huge velocity.
Several challenges should be faced up at different levels: (1) the technical level to develop an adequate computational architecture (software/hardware); (2) the organizational and management levels to define the procedures to collect data with highest confidence, quality, and traceability; (3) the scientific level to create sophisticated bioinformatics workflows and statistical models to analyze the data and correlate them with the evolution of the disease and risks to the patient; and (4) the reporting level to allow the query, the easy retrieval, and the reporting of any data that might be useful for therapeutic decision in real time, therefore allowing clinicians to propose the tailored therapy to the patient in the shortest delay.
Obviously, an efficient informatics and bioinformatics architecture is definitely needed to support PM in order to record, manage, and analyze all the information collected (Simon and Roychowdhury 2013). The following chapter presents the different bioinformatics solutions implemented in order to tackle these challenges. The key points of each part will be detailed offering an overview of these solutions.
- Bioinformatics for Precision Medicine in Oncology
- Book Title
- Pan-cancer Integrative Molecular Portrait Towards a New Paradigm in Precision Medicine
- pp 69-99
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- Springer International Publishing Switzerland
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institut Curie, Department of Medical Oncology
- 2. Institut Curie, Department of Medical Oncology
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Bioinformatics Platform, Institut Curie, Paris, France
- 4. Unité INSERM/Institut Curie U900, Paris, France
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.