Automatic Seizure Detection in EEG Based on Sparse Representation and Wavelet Transform
Sparse representation has been widely applied to pattern classification in recent years. In the framework of sparse representation based classification (SRC), the test sample is represented as a sparse linear combination of the training samples. Due to the epileptic EEG signals are non-stationary and transitory, wavelet transform as a time-frequency analysis method is widely used to analyze EEG signals. In this work, a novel EEG signal classification method based on sparse representation and wavelet transform was proposed to detect the epileptic EEG from EEG recordings. The frequency subbands decomposed by wavelet transform provided more information than the entire EEG. The experimental results showed that the proposed method could classify the ictal EEG and interictal EEG with accuracy of 98 %.
KeywordsEpileptic EEG Sparse representation based classification (SRC) Wavelet decomposition Classification
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 61201428, 61302090), the Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province, China (Grant No. ZR2010FQ020, ZR2013FL002), the Shandong Distinguished Middle-aged and Young Scientist Encourage and Reward Foundation, China (Grant No. BS2009SW003, BS2014DX015), the Graduate Innovation Foundation of University of Jinan (Grant No. YCX13011).
- 8.Wang, X.Y., Meng, J., Qiu, T.S.: Research on chaotic behavior of epilepsy electroencephalogram of ehildren based on independent component analysis algorithm. J. Biomed. Engin. 24, 835–841 (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Guo, L., Rivero, D., Seoane, J., Pazos, A.: Classification of EEG signals using relative wavelet energy and artificial neural networks. In: The First ACM/SIGEVO Summit on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 177–183 (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Zhao, J.L., Zhou, W.D., Liu, K., Cai, D.M.: EEG signal classification based on SVM and wavelet analysis. Comput. Appl. Softw. 28, 114–116 (2011)Google Scholar
- 22.Yang, M., Zhang, L., Feng, X.C., Zhang, D.: Fisher discrimination dictionary learning for sparse representation. In: Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), pp. 543–550 (2011)Google Scholar
- 23.Yang, J., Wright, J., Huang, T., Ma, Y.: Image super-resolution as sparse representation of raw patches. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition. (2008)Google Scholar
- 25.Wu, M., Wei, Z.H., Tang, L.M., Sun, Y.B., Xiao, L.: The reconstruction study of EEG signal based on sparse approximation and compressive sensing. Chinese J. Medi. Instrumentation. 34(4), 241–245 (2010)Google Scholar