SchizConnect: Virtual Data Integration in Neuroimaging
In many scientific domains, including neuroimaging studies, there is a need to obtain increasingly larger cohorts to achieve the desired statistical power for discovery. However, the economics of imaging studies make it unlikely that any single study or consortia can achieve the desired sample sizes. What is needed is an architecture that can easily incorporate additional studies as they become available. We present such architecture based on a virtual data integration approach, where data remains at the original sources, and is retrieved and harmonized in response to user queries. This is in contrast to approaches that move the data to a central warehouse. We implemented our approach in the SchizConnect system that integrates data from three neuroimaging consortia on Schizophrenia: FBIRN’s Human Imaging Database (HID), MRN’s Collaborative Imaging and Neuroinformatics System (COINS), and the NUSDAST project at XNAT Central. A portal providing harmonized access to these sources is publicly deployed at schizconnect.org.
KeywordsData integration Neuroimaging Mediation Schema mappings
SchizConnect is supported by a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH/NIMH), 5U01MH097435 to L. Wang, JL. Ambite, S.G. Potkin and J.A.Turner. The work on COINS is also supported by 5P20GM103472 (NIGMS) to V.D. Calhoun.
- 4.Thompson, P.M., et al.: The ENIGMA consortium: large-scale collaborative analyses of neuroimaging and genetic data. Brain Imaging Behav. 8, 153–182 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, L., et al.: Northwestern University Schizophrenia Data and Software Tool (NUSDAST). Frontiers in Neuroinformatics 7, 25 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Marcus, D.S., Olsen, T., Ramaratnam, M., Buckner, M.L.: The extensible neuroimaging archive toolkit (XNAT): An informatics platform for managing, exploring, and sharing neuroimaging data. Neuroinformatics 5, 11–34 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Doan, A., Halevy, A., Ives, Z.: Principles of Data Integration. Morgan Kauffman, Waltham (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Konstantinidis, G., Ambite, J.: Scalable query rewriting: a graph-based approach. In: SIGMOD Conference, pp. 97–108. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Grant, A., Antonioletti, M., Hume, A.C., Krause, A., Dobrzelecki, B., Jackson, M.J., Parsons, M., Atkinson, M.P., Theocharopoulos, E.: OGSA-DAI: Middleware for data integration: selected applications. In: Fourth IEEE International Conference on eScience (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.The Globus Project (1997). http://www.globus.org
- 16.Turner, et al.: Terminology development towards harmonizing multiple clinical neuroimaging research repositories. In: Proceedings of DILS 2015 (2015)Google Scholar