HCI in Business: A Collaboration with Academia in IoT Privacy
The Internet of Things (IoT) integrates communication capabilities into physical objects to create a ubiquitous and multi-modal network of information and computing resources. The promise and pervasiveness of IoT ecosystems has lured many companies, including Intel, to devote resources and engineers to participate in the future of IoT. This paper describes a joint effort from Intel and two collaborators from academia to address the problem of IoT privacy.
KeywordsInternet of things Privacy Notifications Trust Information disclosure Design User experience
Work by UC Irvine supported by an Intel Software and Services Group Research Grant. Work by UC Berkeley supported by the Intel Science and Technology Center for Secure Computing (ISTC-SC).
- 1.Brock, D.L., Milne, T.P., Kang, Y.Y., Lewis, B.: The physical markup language core components: time and place. Auto-ID Center, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Check Point Software Technologies Ltd: Are You Being Watched Through Your Webcam? http://www.zonealarm.com/blog/2013/10/are-you-being-watched-through-your-webcam/
- 3.D’Antoni, L., Dunn, A., Jana, S., Kohno, T., Livshits, B., Molnar, D., Moshchuk, A., Ofek, E., Roesner, F., Saponas, S., Veanes, M., Wang, H.J.: Operating system support for augmented reality applications. In: Proceedings of the 14th USENIX Conference on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, pp. 21–21 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.EPC Tag Data Standard V1.9. GS1 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Egelman, S., Kannavara, R., Chow, R.: Is this thing on? Crowdsourcing privacy indicators for ubiquitous sensing platforms. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Fabian, B.: Secure name services for the internet of things. Dissertation, Humboldt-University (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Kelley, P.G., Cranor, L.F., Sadeh, N.: Privacy as part of the app decision-making process. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 3993–3402 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Mealling, M.: Auto-ID object name service (ONS) 1.0. Auto-ID Center Working Draft 12 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Portnoff, R.S., Lee, L.N., Egelman, S., Mishra, P., Leung, D., Wagner, D.: Somebody’s watching me? Assessing the effectiveness of webcam indicator lights. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (2015)Google Scholar