Biometric Analysis of Human Ear Matching Using Scale and Rotation Invariant Feature Detectors
Biometric ear authentication has received enormous popularity in recent years due to its uniqueness for each and every individual, even for identical twins. In this paper, two scale and rotation invariant feature detectors, SIFT and SURF, are adopted for recognition and authentication of ear images; an extensive analysis has been made on how these two descriptors work under certain real-life conditions; and a performance measure has been given. The proposed technique is evaluated and compared with other approaches on two data sets. Extensive experimental study demonstrates the effectiveness of the proposed strategy.
KeywordsBiometrics Image matching SIFT SURF Ear recognition
The work is partly supported by Kansas NASA EPSCoR Program (NNX13AB11A) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61273282).
- 2.Abaza, A., Ross, A., Hebert, C., Harrison, M.A.F., Nixon, M.S.: A survey on ear biometrics. ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 45(2), 22 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Tariq, A., Akram, M.U.: Personal identification using ear recognition. Telkomnika 10(2), 321–326 2012Google Scholar
- 5.Kumar, A., Wu, C.: Automated human identification using ear imaging. Pattern Recognition 45(3), 956–968 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Iannarelli, A.: Ear identification, forensic identification series, Paramount Publishing Company. Fremont, CA (1989)Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzalez, E., Alvarez, L., Morazza, L.: AMI Ear Database, Centro de I + D de Tecnologias de la ImagenGoogle Scholar
- 10.Hurley, D., Nixon, M., Carter, J.: Automatic ear recognition by force field transformations. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Colloquium on Visual Biometrics, pp. 7/1–7/5Google Scholar
- 11.Chen, H., Bhanu, B.: Human ear detection from side face range images. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Pattern Recognition, ICPR 3, 574–577 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Ansari, S., Gupta, P.: Localization of ear using outer helix curve of the ear. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computing: Theory and Applications. pp. 688–692Google Scholar