Toward Flexible Supercomputing and Visualization System
- 754 Downloads
The Cybermedia Center is a research institute in Osaka University, which is in charge of administrating high-performance computing systems and high-speed networks for research and education. Especially in the era where the proliferation of scientific data to analyze is accelerating, limited and finite computational and network resources are to be efficiently and flexibly leveraged and shared among scientists. Also, computing requirements for supercomputing and visualization such as memory bandwidth, computational performance and scalability vary widely depending on the applications. Therefore, designing a supercomputing and visualization system which fits to all applications in advance is becoming more difficult. From such a perspective, this paper presents our center’s research activities to realize the concept of flexible supercomputing and visualization as well as its progress report by introducing a new attracting notion of SDN (Software Defined Networking) and its northbound APIs.
This research was partly supported by collaborative research of the National Institute of Information and Communication Technology and Osaka University (Research on high functional network platform technology for large-scale distributed computing). Also, this work was partly supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 26540053 and 26330145.
- 1.ExpEther (Express Ethernet) Consortium, http://www.expether.org/ (2014)
- 2.Visual Molecular Dynamics, http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/ (2015)
- 3.LAMMPS Molecular Dynamics Simulator, http://lammps.sandia.gov/ (2014)
- 5.Top500 Supercomputing Sites, http://top500.org/ (2014)
- 6.Dashdavaa, K., Date, S., Yamanaka, H., Kawai, E., Watashiba, Y., Ichikawa, K., Abe, H., Shimojo, S.: Architecture of a high-speed MPI_Bcast leveraging software-defined network. In: The 6th Workshop on UnConventional High Performance Computing 2013, Euro-Par 2013: Parallel Processing Workshops. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 874, pp. 885–894 (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Takahashi, K., Khureltulga, D., Watashiba, Y., Kido, Y., Date, S., Shimojo, S.: Performance evaluation of SDN-enhanced MPI_Allreduce on a cluster system with fat-tree interconnect. In: The International Conference on High Performance Computing and Simulations (HPCS2014), pp. 784–792 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Furuichi, T., Date, S., Yamanaka, H., Ichikawa, K., Abe, H., Takemura, H., Kawai, E.: A prototype of network failure avoidance functionality for SAGE using OpenFlow. In: Proceedings of 2012 IEEE 36th International Conference on Computer Software and Applications Workshops, pp. 88–93 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Kido, Y., Ichikawa, K., Watashiba, Y., Abe, H., Yamanaka, H., Kawai, E., Takemura, H., Shimojo, S.: SAGE-based tiled display wall enhanced with dynamic routing funcitonality triggered by user interaction. In: INDIS2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Open Grid Scheduler: The official Open Source Grid Engine, http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/ (2013)
- 13.Open Networking Foundation: North Bound Interface Working Group (NBI-WG) Charter, https://www.opennetworking.org/images/stories/downloads/working-groups/charter-nbi.pdf (2013)