Modelling the User Modelling Community (and Other Communities as Well)
Discovering and modelling research communities’ activities is a task that can lead to a more effective scientific process and support the development of new technologies. Journals and conferences already offer an implicit clusterization of researchers and research topics, and social analysis techniques based on co-authorship relations can highlight hidden relationships among researchers, however, little work has been done on the actual content of publications. We claim that a content-based analysis on the full text of accepted papers may lead to a better modelling and understanding of communities’ activities and their emerging trends. In this work we present an extensive case study of research community modelling based upon the analysis of over 450 events and 7000 papers.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Degl’Innocenti, D., De Nart, D., Tasso, C.: A new multi-lingual knowledge-base approach to keyphrase extraction for the italian language. In: Proc. of the 6th Int.l Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Information Retrieval. SciTePress (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Hofmann, T.: Probabilistic latent semantic indexing. In: Proc. of the 22nd Annual International ACM SIGIR Conf. on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, SIGIR 1999, pp. 50–57. ACM, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Joshi, D., Gatica-Perez, D.: Discovering groups of people in google news. In: Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Workshop on Human-Centered Multimedia, pp. 55–64. ACM (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Krafft, D.B., Cappadona, N.A., Caruso, B., Corson-Rikert, J., Devare, M., Lowe, B.J., et al.: Vivo: Enabling national networking of scientists. In: Proceedings of the Web Science Conference 2010, pp. 1310–1313 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Newman, M.: The structure of scientific collaboration networks. Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences 98(2), 404–409 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Sack, W.: Conversation map: a content-based usenet newsgroup browser. In: From Usenet to CoWebs, pp. 92–109. Springer (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Velardi, P., Navigli, R., Cucchiarelli, A., D’Antonio, F.: A new content-based model for social network analysis. In: ICSC, pp. 18–25. IEEE Computer Society (2008)Google Scholar