Effects of Glutathione Concentration in the Root Zone and Glutathione Treatment Period on Cadmium Partitioning in Oilseed Rape Plants
Glutathione is a sulfur-containing peptide involved in various aspects of plant metabolism. Glutathione is also known to have effects on heavy metal responses in plants. In our previous work, we have found glutathione, applied to roots site-specifically, inhibited cadmium (Cd) translocation from roots to shoots and Cd accumulation in shoots in oilseed rape plants. In addition, we succeeded in visualizing inhibition of root-to-shoot translocation of Cd by using a positron-emitting tracer imaging system (PETIS). In this work, the effects of glutathione concentration in the root zone (hydroponic solution) and the glutathione treatment period on Cd partitioning in oilseed rape plants were investigated. Our experimental results demonstrated that glutathione, exceeding a certain concentration in the root zone, is needed to trigger inhibition of Cd translocation, and that treatment time from the start of glutathione application had different effects on Cd partitioning in oilseed rape plants.
KeywordsRoot Zone Plant Body Hydroponic Solution Glutathione Concentration Oilseed Rape Plant
We gratefully thank Dr. Ken’ichi Ogawa (Research Institute for Biological Sciences Okayama) for providing us with GSSG and Mr. H. Suto (Tokyo Nuclear Services Co., Ltd) for his technical assistance in producing 107Cd by ion beam irradiation. This study was supported in part by the Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (no. 23380194, 26292183 to S.N. and no. 17380194, 23380155 to S.F.).
- Fujimaki S, Suzui N, Ishioka NS, Kawachi N, Ito S, Chino M, Nakamura S (2010) Tracing cadmium from culture to spikelet: non-invasive imaging and quantitative characterization of absorption, transport and accumulation of cadmium in an intact rice plant. Plant Physiol 152:1796–1806PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ishikawa S, Suzui N, Ito-Tanabata S, Ishii S, Igura M, Abe T, Kuramata M, Kawachi N, Fujimaki S (2011) Real-time imaging and analysis of differences in cadmium dynamics in rice cultivars (Oryza sativa) using positron-emitting107Cd tracer. BMC Plant Biol 11:172PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nakamura S, Maruyama K, Watanabe A, Hattori H, Chino M (2005) Response of glutathione in the sieve tube of Brassica napus L. to cadmium treatment. In: Saito K, De Kok LJ, Stulen I, Hawkesford MJ, Schnug E (eds) Sulfur transport and assimilation in plants in the post genomic era. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden, pp 229–232Google Scholar
- Nakamura S, Suzui N, Nagasaka T, Komatsu F, Ishioka NS, Ito-Tanabata S, Kawachi N, Rai H, Hattori H, Chino M, Fujimaki S (2013) Application of glutathione to roots selectively inhibits cadmium transport from roots to shoots in oilseed rape. J Exp Bot 64:1073–1081PubMedCentralCrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yoshihara T, Suzui N, Ishii S, Kitazaki M, Yamazaki H, Kitazaki K, Kawachi N, Yin Y-G, Ito-Tanabata S, Hashida S, Shoji K, Shimada H, Goto F, Fujimaki S (2013) A kinetic analysis of cadmium accumulation in a Cd hyper-accumulator fern, Athyrium yokoscense and tobacco plants. Plant Cell Environ 37:1086–1096CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar