Reoptimization Techniques for MIP Solvers
Recently, there have been many successful applications of optimization algorithms that solve a sequence of quite similar mixed-integer programs (MIPs) as subproblems. Traditionally, each problem in the sequence is solved from scratch. In this paper we consider reoptimization techniques that try to benefit from information obtained by solving previous problems of the sequence. We focus on the case that subsequent MIPs differ only in the objective function or that the feasible region is reduced. We propose extensions of the very complex branch-and-bound algorithms employed by general MIP solvers based on the idea to “warmstart” using the final search frontier of the preceding solver run. We extend the academic MIP solver SCIP by these techniques to obtain a reoptimizing branch-and-bound solver and report computational results which show the effectiveness of the approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Achterberg, T.: Constraint Integer Programming. Ph.D. thesis, TU Berlin (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Applegate, D.L., Bixby, R.E., Chvátal, V., Cook, W.J.: On the solution of traveling salesman problems. Documenta Mathematica Journal der Deutschen Mathematiker-Vereinigung Extra Volume ICM III, 645–656 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.COLOR02/03/04. http://mat.gsia.cmu.edu/COLOR03/
- 9.DIP - Decomposition for Int. Programming. https://projects.coin-or.org/Dip
- 12.Frangioni, A., Manca, A.: A computational study of cost reoptimization for min cost flow problems. INFORMS Journal on Computing 18(1) (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Gamrath, G.: Generic branch-cut-and-price. Master’s thesis, TU Berlin (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.GCG - Generic Column Generation. http://www.or.rwth-aachen.de/gcg/
- 16.Güzelsoy, M.: Dual methods in mixed integer linear programming. Ph.D. thesis, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- 22.Ralphs, T.K., Galati, M.V.: Decomposition in integer linear programming. In: Karlof, J.K. (ed.) Integer Programming: Theory and Practice. CRC Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 23.Ralphs, T.K., Güzelsoy, M.: Duality and warm starting in integer programming. In: The Proceedings of the 2006 NSF Design, Service, and Manufacturing Grantees and Research Conference (2006)Google Scholar
- 25.SCIP - Solving Constraint Integer Programs. http://scip.zib.de/
- 26.Tanaka, M., Kobayashi, K.: MISOCP formulation and route generation algorithm for ship navigation problem. Tech. Rep. 2013–8, Tokyo Inst. of Technology (2013)Google Scholar
- 27.Witzig, J.: Reoptimization Techniques for MIP Solvers. Master’s thesis, TU Berlin (2014)Google Scholar