Situation Awareness Training in E-Learning
In this paper the problem of increasing e-learning effectiveness is considered. Students must operate in e-learning environment and sense simultaneously a lot of parameters. This needs particular skills that may be formed by trainings. The paper represents the results of our study proving positive influence of the situation awareness training on e-learning performance. In the randomized controlled study that has been held in ITMO University 104 first-year engineering students participated. The students had been divided into two groups: active and control. All of the participants had to pass an online exam in computer science twice in 28-days interval. The students from active group were asked to pass the situation awareness training within this 28-days interval. At the end of the experiment, necessary parameters had been calculated and analyzed.
KeywordsCognitive training E-learning performance Functional state Online exam
This paper is supported by Russian Federation Government’s grant # 074-U01.
- 1.Jaeggi, S.M., Buschkuehl, M., Jonides, J., Perrig, W.J.: Improving fluid intelligence with training on working memory. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA. 105(19), 6829–6833 (2008). doi: 10.1073/pnas.0801268105
- 4.Rapport, M.D., Orban, S.A., Kofler, M.J., Friedman, L.M.: Do programs designed to train working memory, other executive functions, and attention benefit children with ADHD? A meta-analytic review of cognitive, academic, and behavioral outcomes. Clin. Psychol. Rev. 33(8), 1237–1252 (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2013.08.005 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Endsley, M.R., Robertson, M.M.: Training for situation awareness in individuals and teams. In: Endsley, M.R., Garland, D.J. (eds.) Situation Awareness Analysis and Measurement. LEA, Mahwah, NJ (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Mueller, S.T.: The Psychology Experiment Building Language, Version 0.14 (2014). Software downloaded from http://pebl.sourceforge.net
- 8.Endsley, M.R.: Direct measurement of situation awareness: validity and use of SAGAT. In: Endsley, M.R., Garland, D.J. (eds.) Situation Awareness Analysis and Measurement. LEA, Mahwah, New Jersey (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Mueller, S.T., Simpkins, B., Price, O.T., Weber, P., McClellan, G.E.: Cognitive performance degradation with the T3 methodology. Final Technical Report. Applied Research Associates Inc., Arlington (2011) (HDTRA-1-08-C-0025)Google Scholar
- 10.Tumkaya, S., Karadag, F., Mueller, S.T, Ugurlu, T.T., Oguzhanoglu, N.K., Ozdel, O., Atesci, F.C., Bayraktutan, M.: Situation awareness in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatr. Res. 209(3), 579–588 (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2013.02.009
- 11.Lyamin, A.V., Vashenkov, O.E.: Virtual environment and instruments for student olympiad on cybernetics. In: 8th IFAC Symposium on Advances in Control Education, ACE 2009, pp. 95–100. Kumamoto, Japan (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Lyamin, A.V., Efimchik, E.A.: RLCP-compatible virtual laboratories. In: International Conference on E-Learning and E-Technologies in Education, ICEEE 2012, pp. 59–64. Lodz, Poland (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Lisitsyna, L., Lyamin, A., Skshidlevsky, A.: Estimation of student functional state in learning management system by heart rate variability method. In: Smart Digital Futures 2014, pp. 726–731. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Uskov, V., Lyamin, A., Lisitsyna, L., Sekar, B.: Smart e-Learning as a student-centered biotechnical system. In: Vincenti, G., Bucciero, A., Vaz de Carvalho, C. (eds.), E-Learning, E-Education, and Online-Training: First International Conference, Eleot 2014, Bethesda, MD, USA, 18–20 Sept 2014. Revised Selected Papers - Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social-Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, vol. 138. Springer (2014)Google Scholar