Game Mechanics Used for Achieving Better Results of Massive Online Courses
This paper describes an approach to achieving better results of massive online courses by using game mechanics in the process of online education. The results of creating and using an interactive massive online training course for web developers in HTML5 and CSS3 in Russia are presented. The course uses new game mechanics of perfectionism and cohort ratings. The results of experimental research confirming positive effect of such game mechanics on the course performance (time of course completion, achieving better results in training, percentage of successful course completion) are provided.
KeywordsMOOC Cohort ratings Perfectionism HTML5 CSS3 Training of user web interface developers
This paper is supported by The Russian Federation Government’s grant # 074-U01.
- 1.Vasiliev, V., Stafeev, S., Lisitsyna, L., Ol’shevskaya, A.: From traditional distance learning to mass online open courses. Scientific Tech. J. Inf. Technol. Mech. Optics 89, 199–205 (2014) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 2.Lisizina, L., Pershin, A., Uskov, V.: New approaches to efficiency of massive online course. Sci. Tech. J. Inf. Technol. Mech. Optics 93, 164–171 (2014). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 3.Salen, K., Zimmerman, E.: Eric Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals. MIT Press, Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Malone, T.W., Lepper, M.R.: Making learning fun: a taxonomy of intrinsic motivations for learning. Aptitude Learn. Instr. Conative Affect. Process Anal. 3, 223–253 (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.Codecademy. http://www.codecademy.com
- 6.Lisitsyna, L., Lyamin, A.: Approach to development of effective e-learning courses. In: Smart Digital Futures 2014, IOS Press (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Lisizina, L., Pershin, A.: By the establishment of Fab lab for training developers of custom web interfaces in HTML and CSS. Distance Virtual Learn. 79, 32–38 (2014). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 8.Koster, R.: Theory of Fun for Game Design. O’Reilly Media, Inc., Sebastopol (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Granic I., Lobel A., Engels R.: The benefits of playing video games. Am. Psychol. 69, 66–78 (2014)Google Scholar