On the (Non)Improvement of an Authenticated GKT Protocol
Harn and Lin proposed in 2010 a secret sharing-based group key transfer protocol. One year later, Nam et al. showed their construction is vulnerable to a replay attack and proposed a way to fix it. Recently, Yuan et al. analyzed the same protocol, proved that it is also vulnerable to a man-in-the middle attack and considered a countermeasure. First, we slightly modify Yuan et al.’s attack to make it simpler to implement and harder to be detected. Second, we show that the improved version of the protocol remains susceptible to a man-in-the-middle attack.
KeywordsGroup key transfer Secret sharing Man-in-the-middle attack Insider attack Cryptanalysis
This work was supported by the strategic grant POSDRU/159/1.5/S/137750, Project Doctoral and Postdoctoral programs support for increased competitiveness in Exact Sciences research cofinanced by the European Social Found within the Sectorial Operational Program Human Resources Development 2007–2013.
- 2.Kim, M., Park, N., Won, D.: Cryptanalysis of an authenticated group key transfer protocol based on secret sharing. In: Park, J.J(Jong Hyuk), Arabnia, H.R., Kim, C., Shi, W., Gil, J.-M. (eds.) GPC 2013. LNCS, vol. 7861, pp. 761–766. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Nam, J., Kim, M., Paik, J., Jeon, W., Lee, B., Won, D.: Cryptanalysis of a group key transfer protocol based on secret sharing. In: Kim, T., Adeli, H., Slezak, D., Sandnes, F.E., Song, X., Chung, K., Arnett, K.P. (eds.) FGIT 2011. LNCS, vol. 7105, pp. 309–315. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Olimid, R.F.: On the security of an authenticated group key transfer protocol based on secret sharing. In: Mustofa, K., Neuhold, E.J., Tjoa, A.M., Weippl, E., You, I. (eds.) ICT-EurAsia 2013. LNCS, vol. 7804, pp. 399–408. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Olimid, R.F.: A chain of attacks and countermeasures applied to a group key transfer protocol. In: Proceedings of International Joint Conference SOCO13 CISIS13 ICEUTE13, AISC 239, pp. 333–342, (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Sun, Y., Wen, Q., Sun, H., Li, W., Jin, Z., Zhang, H.: An authenticated group key transfer protocol based on secret sharing. Int. Workshop Inform. Electron. Eng. Procedia Eng. 29, 403–408 (2012)Google Scholar