Detecting Rails and Obstacles Using a Train-Mounted Thermal Camera
We propose a method for detecting obstacles on the railway in front of a moving train using a monocular thermal camera. The problem is motivated by the large number of collisions between trains and various obstacles, resulting in reduced safety and high costs. The proposed method includes a novel way of detecting the rails in the imagery, as well as a way to detect anomalies on the railway. While the problem at a first glance looks similar to road and lane detection, which in the past has been a popular research topic, a closer look reveals that the problem at hand is previously unaddressed. As a consequence, relevant datasets are missing as well, and thus our contribution is two-fold: We propose an approach to the novel problem of obstacle detection on railways and we describe the acquisition of a novel data set.
KeywordsThermal imaging Computer vision Train safety Railway detection Anomaly detection Obstacle detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aly, M.: Real time detection of lane markers in urban streets. In: IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symp. (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Bolme, D.S., Beveridge, J., Ross, D., Bruce, A., Lui, Y.M.: Visual object tracking using adaptive correlation filters. In: Proc. of IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Danelljan, M., Häger, G., Khan, F., Felsberg, M.: Accurate scale estimation for robust visual tracking. In: Proc. of the British Machine Vision Conf. (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Borkar, A., Hayes, M., Smith, M.: Robust lane detection and tracking with ransac and kalman filter. In: IEEE International Conf. on Image Processing (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Kammel, S., Pitzer, B.: Lidar-based lane marker detection and mapping. In: IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symp. (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Kreucher, C., Lakshmanan, S.: LANA: A Lane Extraction Algorithm that Uses Frequency Domain Features. IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation 15(2) (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Otsuka, Y., Muramatsu, S., Takenaga, H., Kobayashi, Y., Monji, T.: Multitype lane markers recognition using local edge direction. In: IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symp. (2002)Google Scholar