Microscopy Image Enhancement for Cost-Effective Cervical Cancer Screening
We propose a simple and fast method for microscopy image enhancement and quantitatively evaluate its performance on a database containing cell images obtained from microscope setups of several levels of quality. The method utilizes an efficiently and accurately estimated relative modulation transfer function to generate images of higher quality, starting from those of lower quality, by filtering in the Fourier domain. We evaluate the method visually and based on correlation coefficient and normalized mutual information. We conclude that enhanced images exhibit high similarity, both visually and in terms of information content, with acquired high quality images. This is an important result for the development of a cost-effective screening system for cervical cancer.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blinn, J.: Jim Blinn’s Corner: Dirty Pixels. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc. (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Forster, B., Van de Ville, D., Berent, J., Sage, D., Unser, M.: Extended depth-of-focus for multi-channel microscopy images: A complex wavelet approach. In: IEEE Int. Symp. Biomed. Imaging: Macro to Nano, vols. 1 and 2, pp. 660–663 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Joshi, N., Szeliski, R., Kriegman, D.: PSF estimation using sharp edge prediction. In: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2008, pp. 1–8. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Lindblad, J., Sladoje, N., Malm, P., Bengtsson, E., Moshavegh, R., Mehnert, A.: Optimizing optics and imaging for pattern recognition based screening tasks. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Pattern Recogn., Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 3333–3338, August 2014Google Scholar
- 7.Malm, P.: Image Analysis in Support of Computer-Assisted Cervical Cancer Screening. Ph.D. thesis, Uppsala University, Department of Information Technology (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Malm, P.: Multi-resolution cervical cell dataset. Tech. Rep. 37. Uppsala University, Division of Visual Information and Interaction (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Smith, E.H.B.: PSF estimation by gradient descent fit to the ESF. In: Electronic Imaging 2006, pp. 60590E–60590E. International Society for Optics and Photonics (2006)Google Scholar