A Conceptual Approach for Relational IR: Application to Legal Collections
Everyone who works in the legal field is faced with the complexity of documentary sources of law, that are highly interrelated and interdependent of each others. It is essential for legal practitioners to rely on systems that retrieve all the sources related to the legal cases they are working on and not only the most relevant ones. The challenge for legal IR is to achieve exhaustivity and handle this complexity by retrieving documents on the basis of the semantic content and the intertextual relationships. This work proposes an IR approach for legal sources that goes beyond existing systems. It is based on Formal and Relational Concept Analysis to structure, query and browse collections of legal documents.
KeywordsLegal information retrieval Intertextuality Relational queries Exploration Formal concept analysis Relational concept analysis
This work has been partially funded by the Légilocal project (French Single Inter-Ministry Fund, FUI-9, 2010–2013) and is supported by Labex EFL (French National Research Agency, ANR-10-LABX-0083).
- 1.Azmeh, Z., Rouane, M-H., Huchard, M., Napoli, A., Valtchev, P.: Querying relational concept lattices. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Concept Lattices and their Applications (CLA 2011), Nancy, France, pp. 377–392, October 2011Google Scholar
- 2.Bourcier, D.: Sciences juridiques et complexitë. Un nouveau modéle d’analyse. Droit et Cultures 61(1), 37–53 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Brin, S., Page, L.: The anatomy of a large-scale hypertextual web search engine. In: Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW7), pp. 107–117 (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Mimouni, N., Fernàndez, M., Nazarenko, A., Bourcier, D., Salotti, S.: A relational approach for information retrieval on XML legal sources. In: International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Law, (ICAIL), Rome, Italy, pp. 212–216 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Valtchev, P., Grosser, D., Roume, C., Hacene, M.R.: Galicia: an open platform for lattices. In: Using Conceptual Structures (ICCS 2003), pp. 241–254. Shaker Verlag (2003)Google Scholar
- 18.Winkels, R., de Ruyter, J.: Survival of the fittest: network analysis of dutch supreme court cases. In: Palmirani, M., Pagallo, U., Casanovas, P., Sartor, G. (eds.) AICOL-III 2011. LNCS, vol. 7639, pp. 106–115. Springer, Heidelberg (2012) Google Scholar