Applying Software-Defined Networking Paradigm to Tenant-Perspective Optimization of Cloud Services Utilization
The article describes results of research in the area of software-defined networking applied to multi-cloud infrastructures. We present an innovative load balancer designed in accordance with a unique set of requirements, stemming from taking the cloud tenant’s perspective on cloud service usage effectiveness. We developed a proof of concept implementation of the load balancer and drawn the conclusions regarding the system itself and its applicability to production environments. Our solution is more comprehensive than others available in contemporary SDN environments, and offers more functionality than just service chaining realized through flow reroutes.
KeywordsSoftware-defined networking Cloud environemnt Load balancing
The research presented in this paper was partially supported by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education under AGH University of Science and Technology Grant 18.104.22.168 (statutory project).
- 3.McQuerry, S., Jansen, D., Hucaby, D.: Cisco LAN Switching Configuration Handbook. Cisco Press, London (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Microsoft: network load balancing technical overview. http://goo.gl/D6Spr3. Accessed 30 January 2015
- 5.RiverBed: SteelApp. http://goo.gl/eAklYT. Accessed 30 January 2015
- 7.Amazon: elastic load balancing. http://goo.gl/M69X9g. Accessed 30 January 2015
- 9.Jarząb, M., Zieliński, K., Zieliński, S., Grzegorczyk, K., Piascik, M.: PaaS performance evaluation methodology. Int. J. Next-Gener. Comput. 1(1), 1–24 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Handigol, N., Seetharaman, S., Flajslik, M., McKeown, N., Johari, R.: Plug-n-serve: load-balancing web traffic using OpenFlow. In: ACM SIGCOMM Demo (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Wang, R., Butnariu, D., Rexford, J.: OpenFlow-based server load balancing gone wild. In: Proceedings of the 11th USENIX Conference on Hot Topics in Management of Internet, Cloud, and Enterprise Networks and Services, Hot-ICE 2011, Berkeley, p. 12. USENIX Association (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Koerner, M., Kao, O.: Multiple service load-balancing with OpenFlow. In: 2012 IEEE 13th International Conference on High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR), pp. 210–214. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.NOX: POX OpenFlow controller. http://goo.gl/Mzkoss. Accessed 30 January 2015
- 15.OVS: Open VSwitch. http://openvswitch.org/. Accessed 30 January 2015