Videogrammetry System for Wind Turbine Vibration Monitoring
Early detection of component failure in wind turbines produces a great value in savings. We present an external method for obtaining the tower vibrations using videogrammetry. We use a multi-view image acquisition system and a set of fiducial markers set on the surface of the tower. Targets are identified using a radial symmetry measure, their centre is located through elliptical model fitting, and they are recognized through a standard segmentation and decoding method. Finally targets are tracked and displacements processed. We have obtained good results in the tests performed and we intend to continue gathering data to build a classification system for identifying abnormal vibrations.
KeywordsVideogrammetry Wind turbine monitoring Vibrations
This work was funded by the Spanish Centro para el Desarrollo Tecnológico Industrial (CDTI), program under Grant ITC_20133096.
- 1.Lu, B., Li, Y., Wu, X., Yang, Z.: A review of recent advances in wind turbine condition monitoring and fault diagnosis. In: Power Electronics and Machines in Wind Applications, PEMWA, pp. 1–7. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Sabel, J.C.: Optical 3D motion measurement. In: IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference. Brussels, Belgium (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Bassett, K.: Vibration based structural health monitoring for utility scale wind turbines. Electronic Theses and Dissertations, Paper 173 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Felsberg, M., Sommer, G.: A new extension of linear signal processing for estimating local properties and detecting features. In: 22 DAGM Symposium Mustererkennung. Springer-Verlag (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kovesi P: Invariant measures of image features from phase information. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Western Australia (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, Z., Ye, Z., Chan, D.T.W., Peng, G.: Target recognition based on mathematical morphology. In: CAD/Graphics 2007, pp 457–460 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Rijsbergen, C.J.V.: Information Retrieval, 2nd edn. Butterworth-Heinemann, Newton (1979)Google Scholar