OpenCL Implementation of PSO Algorithm for the Quadratic Assignment Problem
This paper presents a Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) algorithm for the Quadratic Assignment Problem (QAP) implemented on OpenCL platform. Motivations to our work were twofold: firstly we wanted to develop a dedicated algorithm to solve the QAP showing both time and optimization performance, secondly we planned to check, if the capabilities offered by popular GPUs can be exploited to accelerate hard optimization tasks requiring high computational power. We were specifically targeting low-cost popular devices, with limited capabilities. The paper discusses the algorithm and its parallel implementation, as well as reports results of tests.
KeywordsQAP PSO OpenCL GPU calculation Particle swarm optimization Discrete optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bermudez, R., Cole, M.H.: A genetic algorithm approach to door assignments in breakbulk terminals. Tech. Rep. MBTC-1102, Mack-Blackwell Transportation Center, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Chmiel, W.: Evolution Algorithms for optimisation of task assignment problem with quadratic cost function. Ph.D. thesis, AGH Technology University, Poland (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Chmiel, W., Kadłuczka, P., Packanik, G.: Performance of swarm algorithms for permutation problems. Automatyka 15(2), 117–126 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Eberhart, R., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, MHS 1995, pp. 39–43 (October 1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W. H. Freeman & Co., New York (1979)Google Scholar
- 9.Grötschel, M.: Discrete mathematics in manufacturing. In: Malley, R.E.O. (ed.) ICIAM 1991: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Industrial and Applied Mathematics, pp. 119–145. SIAM (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Howes, L., Munshi, A.: Aparapi - AMD, http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/aparapi/ (last accessed: January 2015)
- 11.Howes, L., Munshi, A.: The OpenCL specification, https://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/specs/opencl-2.0.pdf (last accessed: January 2015)