Tag Detection for Preventing Unauthorized Face Image Processing
A new technology is being proposed as a solution to the problem of unintentional facial detection and recognition in pictures in which the individuals appearing want to express their privacy preferences, through the use of different tags. The existing methods for face de-identification were mostly ad hoc solutions that only provided an absolute binary solution in a privacy context such as pixelation, or a bar mask. As the number and users of social networks are increasing, our preferences regarding our privacy may become more complex, leaving these absolute binary solutions as something obsolete. The proposed technology overcomes this problem by embedding information in a tag which will be placed close to the face without being disruptive. Through a decoding method the tag will provide the preferences that will be applied to the images in further stages.
KeywordsPrivacy Face detection Tag detection Unauthorized face processing
This work was performed under the National Institute of Informatics international internship program.
- 1.Yang, M.-H., Kriegman, D., Ahuja, N.: Detecting faces in images: A survey. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 24(1), 34–58 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, C., Zhang, Z.: A survey of recent advances in face detection, Technical report, Microsoft Research (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Bowyer, K.W.: Face recognition technology: security versus privacy. IEEE Technol. Soc. Mag. 23(1), 9–19 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.A focus on efficiency, internet.org, Techical report (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Besmer, A., Lipford, H.R.: Moving beyond untagging: photo privacy in a tagged world. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, pp. 1563–1572 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Making photo tagging easier, June 2011. https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook/making-photo-tagging-easier/467145887130
- 8.How does facebook suggest tags?, May 2014. https://www.facebook.com/help/122175507864081
- 11.M. Corporation. Microsoft tag - implementation guide (2011). http://tag.microsoft.com/resources/implementation-guide.aspx
- 12.How does instagram develop their filters?, May 2012. http://www.quora.com/Instagram/How-does-Instagram-develop-their-filters
- 13.Viola, P., Jones, M.J.: Robust real-time face detection. Int. J. Comput. Vis. 57(2), 137–154 (2004)Google Scholar