Narrowing Operators on Template Abstract Domains
In the theory of abstract interpretation, a descending phase may be used to improve the precision of the analysis after a post-fixpoint has been reached. Termination is often guaranteed by using narrowing operators. This is especially true on numerical domains, since they are generally endowed with infinite descending chains which may lead to a non-terminating descending phase in the absence of narrowing. We provide an abstract semantics which improves the analysis precision and shows that, for a large class of numerical abstract domains over integer variables (such as intervals, octagons and template polyhedra), it is possible to avoid infinite descending chains and omit narrowing. Moreover, we propose a new family of narrowing operators for real variables which improves the analysis precision.
KeywordsInteger Variable Abstract Interpretation Abstract Domain Numerical Domain Narrowing Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Amato, G., Scozzari, F., Seidl, H., Apinis, K., Vojdani, V.: Efficiently intertwining widening and narrowing. ArXiv e-prints, 1503.00883 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Cousot, P., Cousot, R.: Static determination of dynamic properties of programs. In: Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Programming, pp. 106–130, Paris, France, Dunod (1976)Google Scholar
- 6.Cousot, P., Cousot, R.: Abstract interpretation: A unified lattice model for static analysis of programs by construction or approximation of fixpoints. In: POPL 1977: Proceedings of the 4th ACM SIGACT-SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pp. 238–252. ACM Press, New York (1977)Google Scholar
- 7.Cousot, P., Cousot, R.: Systematic design of program analysis frameworks. In: POPL 1979: Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGACT-SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pp. 269–282. ACM Press, New York (1979)Google Scholar
- 9.Cousot, P., Halbwachs, N.: Automatic discovery of linear restraints among variables of a program. In: POPL 1978: Proceedings of the 5th ACM SIGACT-SIGPLAN Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pp. 84–97. ACM Press, New York (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.Gawlitza, T.M., Monniaux, D.: Invariant generation through strategy iteration in succinctly represented control flow graphs. Logical Methods in Computer Science 8(3) (2012)Google Scholar