The Things of the Internet of Things in BPMN
The component “thing” of the Internet of Things does not yet exist in current business process modeling standards. The “thing” is the essential and central concept of the Internet of Things, and without its consideration we will not be able to model the business processes of the future, which will be able to measure or change states of objects in our real-world environment. The presented approach focuses on integrating the concept of the Internet of Things into the meta-model of the process modeling standard BPMN 2.0 as standard-conform as possible. By a terminological and conceptual delimitation, three components of the standard are examined and compared towards a possible expansion. By implementing the most appropriate solution, the new thing concept becomes usable for modelers, both as a graphical and machine-readable element.
KeywordsInternet of things BPMN Physical entity Entity of interest
The authors would like to thank Alexandre de Spindler, Carsten Magerkurth and Jacques Pasquier for the valuable support.
- 1.Carrez, F. et al.: Final architectural reference model for the IoT v3.0. EC FP7 IoT-A Deliverable 1.5 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Meyer, S., Sperner, K., Magerkurth, C., Pasquier, J.: Towards modeling real-world aware business processes. In: Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Web of Things, p. 8. ACM (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Freund, J., Rücker, B., Henninger, T.: Praxishandbuch BPMN. Hanser (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Concepts and Solutions for Entity-based Discovery of IoT Resources and Managing their Dynamic Associations. EC FP7 IoT-A Deliverable 4.3 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.De, S., Barnaghi, P., Bauer, M., Meissner, S.: Service modelling for the internet of things. In: Proceedings of the Federated Conference on IEEE in Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS) (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.De, S., Elsaleh, T., Barnaghi, P., Meissner, S.: An internet of things platform for real-world and digital objects. Scalable Comput. Pract. Experience 13(1), 45–57 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Concepts and Solutions for Entity-based Discovery of IoT Resources and Managing their Dynamic Associations. EC FP7 IoT-A Deliverable 4.3 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Silver, B.: BPMN Method and Style. Cody-Cassidy Press, Aptos (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.The things in the internet of things. Poster at the (IoT 2010). Tokyo, Japan, November 2010Google Scholar
- 11.Business Process Model And Notation (BPMN). OMG Specification. Object Management Group (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Meyer, S., Ruppen, A., Magerkurth, C.: Internet of things-aware process modeling: integrating IoT devices as business process resources. In: Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering, Valencia, Spain (2013)Google Scholar