Part of the SpringerBriefs in Space Development book series (BRIEFSSPACE)
Game Changer: SpaceX
The establishment of Space Exploration Technologies—SpaceX—brought new and lower cost launch vehicles and services to the commercial market. SpaceX has developed the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rocket and Dragon cargo and crew capsules.
KeywordsLaunch Vehicle Crew Member Defense Advance Research Project Agency Lithium Aluminum Alloy Defense Advance Research Project Agency
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 1.“Gwynne Shotwell Executive Profile,” Business Week Aerospace & Defense Profiles. http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=39083380&privcapId=7702894&previousCapId=7702894&previousTitle=Space%20Exploration%20Technologies%20Corp.
- 2.Mark Holmes, “It all Started with a Suit: The Story Behind Shotwell’s Rise to SpaceX.” Via Satellite, April 21, 2014. http://www.satellitetoday.com/publications/2014/04/21/it-all-started-with-a-suit-the-story-behind-shotwells-rise-to-spacex/.
- 3.Erik Seedhouse, SpaceX – Making Commercial Spaceflight a Reality. New York: Springer-Praxis, 2013. P. 9.Google Scholar
- 4.Paul D. Spudis, “The Tale of Falcon 1,” Air & Space Magazine, July 2012. http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/the-tale-of-falcon-1-5193845/?no-ist
- 5.Brian Bjelde, Hans Koenigsmann, and Shotwell, Gwynne, “SpaceX Falcon 1: The First Privately-Developed Liquid Fuel Rocket to Achieve Earth Orbit.” 7th Responsive Space Conference, AIAA doc. RS7-2009-1003.Google Scholar
- 6.Seedhouse, p. 62.Google Scholar
- 7.Jeff Foust, “The Falcon and the showman, Pt. 1 & 2.” The Space Review, 8 December 2003. http://www.thespacereview.com/article/70/1.
- 8.Jeff Foust, “Big plans for SpaceX.” The Space Review, November 14, 2005. http://www.thespacereview.com/article/497/1.
- 9.Seedhouse, pp. 21-22.Google Scholar
- 10.Falcon 9 Test Flight 1 Press Kit, SpaceX. June 4, 2010.Google Scholar
- 11.“Hiring Rocket Scientists: A How-To.” http://blog.hackerrank.com/hiring-rocket-scientists-a-how-to/.
- 12.Press Release, “NASA selects SpaceX’s Falcon 9 booster and Dragon spacecraft for cargo resupply services to the International Space Station.” SpaceX, December 23, 2008.Google Scholar
- 13.“COTS Demo Flight 1 Press Kit,” SpaceX, August 6, 2010.Google Scholar
- 14.Steven Clark, “Falcon 9 booster rockets into orbit on dramatic first launch.” Spaceflight Now, June 4, 2010. http://spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/001/100604launch/index.html.
- 15.Ken Kremer, “Dragon Grappled and Birthed for History Making Docking at Station Today – May 25.” Universe Today. http://www.universetoday.com/95402/dragon-grappled-for-history-making-docking-at-station-today-may-25/.
- 16.“Boeing, SpaceX to Get $6.8 Billion for Commercial Crew Flights,” Aviation Week & Space Technology. September 16, 2014. http://aviationweek.com/space/boeing-spacex-get-68-billion-commercial-crew-flights.
- 17.“Falcon Heavy,” datasheet. Space Exploration Technologies Corporation. Undated.Google Scholar
© The Author(s) 2015