Intensity Normalization of 123 I-ioflupane-SPECT Brain Images Using a Model-Based Multivariate Linear Regression Approach
The intensity normalization step is essential, as it corresponds to the initial step in any subsequent computer-based analysis. In this work, a proposed intensity normalization approach based on a predictive modeling using multivariate linear regression (MLR) is presented. Different intensity normalization parameters derived from this model will be used in a linear procedure to perform the intensity normalization of 123 I-ioflupane-SPECT brain images. This proposed approach is compared to conventional intensity normalization methods, such as specific-to-non-specific binding ratio, integral-based intensity normalization and intensity normalization by minimizing the Kullback-Leibler divergence. For the performance evaluation, a statistical analysis is used by applying the Euclidean distance and the Jeffreys divergence. In addition, a classification task using support vector machine to evaluate the impact of the proposed methodology for the development of a computer aided diagnosis (CAD) system for Parkinsonian syndrome detection.
KeywordsIntensity normalization DaTSCAN SPECT images Multivariate Linear Regression Parkinsonian syndrome Computer-aided diagnosis system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Booij, J., Habraken, J., Bergmans, P., Tissingh, G., Winogrodzka, A., Wolters, E., Janssen, A., Stoof, J., Van Royen, E.: Imaging of dopamine transporters with Iodine-123-FP-CIT SPECT in healthy controls and patients with parkinson’s disease. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 39(11), 1879–1884 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Seifert, K.D., Wiener, J.I.: The impact of DaTscan on the diagnosis and management of movement disorders: A retrospective study. American Journal of Neurodegenerative Disease 2(1), 29–34 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Brahim, A., Górriz, J., Ramírez, J., Khedher, L.: Linear intensity normalization of DaTSCAN images using Mean Square Error and a model-based clustering approach. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 207, 251–260 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Brahim, A., Górriz, J., Ramírez, J., Khedher, L.: Applications of gaussian mixture models and mean squared error within datscan spect imaging. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 3617–3621 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Scherfler, C., Seppi, K., Donnemiller, E., Goebel, G., Brenneis, C., Virgolini, I., Wenning, G., Poewe, W.: Voxel-wise analysis of [123 I] β-CIT SPECT differentiates the Parkinson variant of multiple system atrophy from idiopathic Parkinson’s disease. Brain 128(7), 1605–1612 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Weisenfeld, N., Warfteld, S.: Normalization of joint image-intensity statistics in MRI using the Kullback-Leibler divergence. In: IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: Nano to Macro, 2004, vol. 1, pp. 101–104 (2004)Google Scholar