Towards an Advanced PKI-Based Security Solution for Next Generation e-Passport and Associated Applications: The NewP@ss Approach
The electronic passport, introduced not long ago, in 2005, is continuing to evolve in order to provide higher levels of authentication for citizens crossing international borders, while respecting their privacy. A brief overview of the whole e-passport architecture is presented, as well as the key aspects and changes that this document has been going through in its evolution. In this paper we present a promising novel PKI-based security solution that could be integrated in the next generation (4G) of electronic passports, namely in its supporting overall architecture, in the ambit of the NewP@ss project.
KeywordsElectronic passport ICAO LDS PKI BAC EAC SAC Authorization Authentication Verification CSCA CVCA DVCA Newp@ss
The authors would like to acknowledge the project N. 23183 - NEWPASS, co-financed by the European Funds for Regional Development (FEDER) by COMPETE – Programa Operacional Factores de Competitividade (POFC) of QREN - Quadro de Referência Estratégica Nacional, and labelled as CA206-NewP@ss by the European EUREKA-CATRENE programme.
- 1.ICAO website. http://www.icao.int
- 2.ICAO, Machine Readable Travel Documents - Part 1 & 3, ICAO Doc 9303Google Scholar
- 3.BSI-CC-PP-0055 (v1.10) - Protection Profile for Machine Readable Travel Document with “ICAO Application”, Basic Access ControlGoogle Scholar
- 4.ISO14443-2:2010, ISO14443-3:2011, and ISO14443:4:2008Google Scholar
- 5.Atanasiu, A., Mihailescu, M.I.: Biometric passports (ePassports). In: Communications (COMM), 8th International Conference at Bucharest, 10–12 June 2010Google Scholar
- 7.BSI-CC-PP-0056-V2-2012 - Protection Profile for Machine Readable Travel Document w/ “ICAO Application” Extended Access Control with PACE (EAC PP) – v1.3.1, 22/03/2012Google Scholar
- 8.Brömme, A.: A risk analysis approach for biometric authentication technology. Int. J. Netw. Secur. 2(1), 52–63 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Jeng, A.B., Chen, L.-Y.: How to enhance the security of ePassport, In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Baoding, 12–15 July 2009Google Scholar
- 10.NewP@ss project website. http://newpass.av.it.pt
- 11.Technical Guideline – BSI - TR03110 v2.10- Advanced Security Mechanisms for Machine Readable Travel Documents – Extended Access Control (EAC v2.10)Google Scholar
- 12.ICAO Technical Report - Supplemental Access Control (SAC) for MRTDs v1.01 final2Google Scholar
- 13.BSI-CC-PP-0068-V2-2011 - Protection Profile for MRTD using standard inspection procedure with PACE (PACE PP) – SACGoogle Scholar