RoboCup 2014 Humanoid AdultSize League Winner
The RoboCup Soccer Humanoid AdultSize League is a very challenging league that requires fast and reliable locomotion, a robust vision and localization system, and long term planning to score in a limited attack window. As a result, many adult-size robots are now highly optimized for the soccer task, with very lightweight construction that enables nimble locomotion with low power actuators. However, such a soccer optimized humanoid design excludes the possibility of using the humanoid robot for more general tasks that include, for instance, dextrous manipulation and navigating over rugged terrain. In this paper, we describe how we utilize the general purpose and full sized humanoid robot, THOR-OP (Tactical Hazardous Operations Robot - Open Platform), which was originally developed to compete at the DARPA Robotics Challenge (DRC) for the 2014 RoboCup AdultSize league robotic soccer competition.
We acknowledge the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) through grant N65236-12-1-1002. We also acknowledge the support of the ONR SAFFIR program under contract N00014-11-1-0074.
- 2.Yi, S.-J., McGill, S., Vadakedathu, L., He, Q., Ha, I., Rouleau, M., Hong, D., Lee, D.D.: Modular low-cost humanoid platform for disaster response. In: 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Yi, S.-J., Zhang, B.-T., Hong, D., Lee, D.D.: Online learning of a full body push recovery controller for omnidirectional walking. In: IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots, pp. 1–6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Kajita, S., Kanehiro, F., Kaneko, K., Fujiwara, K., Yokoi, K.H.K.: Biped walking pattern generation by using preview control of zero-moment point. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 1620–1626 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Yi, S.-J., Hong, D., Lee, D.D.: A hybrid walk controller for resource-constrained humanoid robots. In: 2013 13th IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots (Humanoids), October 2013Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, D.D., et al.: Robocup 2011 humanoid league winners. In: Röfer, T., Mayer, N.M., Savage, J., Saranlı, U. (eds.) RoboCup 2011. LNCS, vol. 7416, pp. 37–50. Springer, Heidelberg (2012) Google Scholar