Prescriptive Modelling – Challenges and Opportunities
This chapter deals with a distinction between two kinds of mathematical modelling purposes and related modelling endeavours, descriptive modelling and prescriptive modelling. Whilst descriptive modelling is usually the focus of attention of practice, research and development in mathematics education, prescriptive modelling – in which the aim is to design, organise or structure certain aspects of extra-mathematical domains – is hardly noticed, let alone investigated in mathematics education. After having presented three concrete examples of prescriptive modelling, this chapter makes a plea for paying attention to its cultivation and investigation in mathematics education contexts. It does so by analysing prescriptive modelling in relation to the so-called modelling cycle and finishes by outlining challenges and opportunities for such an endeavour.
KeywordsIncome Inequality Mathematics Education Descriptive Modelling Gini Coefficient Modelling Cycle
- Blum, W., Galbraith, P. L., Henn, H.-W., & Niss, M. (Eds.). (2007). Modelling and applications in mathematics education: The 14th ICMI study. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Davis, P. J. (1991). Applied mathematics as a social instrument. In M. Niss, W. Blum, & I. Huntley (Eds.), Teaching of mathematical modelling and applications (pp. 1–9). Chichester: Ellis Horwood.Google Scholar
- Gini, C. (1912). Variabilità e mutabilità. Bologna: C. Cuppini.Google Scholar
- Lesh, R. A., & Doerr, H. M. (Eds.). (2003). Beyond constructivism: Models and modeling perspectives on mathematics problem solving, learning and teaching. Mahwah: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Stillman, G., Brown, J., & Galbraith, P. (2010). Identifying challenges within transition phases of mathematical modeling activities at year 9. In R. Lesh, P. L. Galbraith, C. R. Haines, & A. Hurford (Eds.), Modeling students’ mathematical modeling competencies (pp. 385–398). New York: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wikipedia a. www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index. Accessed 14 Nov 2013.
- Wikipedia b. www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient. Accessed 14 Nov 2013.