On Efficient Passenger Assignment for Group Transportation
With the increasing popularity of LBS services, spatial assignment has become an important problem nowadays. Nevertheless most existing works use Euclidean distance as the measurement of spatial proximity. In this paper, we investigate a variant of spatial assignment problem with road networks as the underlying space. Given a set of passengers and a set of vehicles, where each vehicle waits for the arrival of all passengers assigned to it, and then carries them to the same destination, our goal is to find an assignment from passengers to vehicles such that all passengers can arrive at earliest together. Such a passenger assignment problem has various applications in real life. However, finding the optimal assignment efficiently is challenging due to high computational cost in the fastest path search and combinatorial nature of capacity constrained assignment. In this paper, we first propose two exact solutions to find the optimal results, and then an approximate solution to achieve higher efficiency by trading off a little accuracy. Finally, performances of all proposed algorithms are evaluated on a real dataset.
KeywordsBipartite Graph Road Network Travel Cost Critical Pair Spatial Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Brakatsoulas, S., Pfoser, D., Salas, R., Wenk, C.: On map-matching vehicle tracking data. In: Proceedings of VLDB, pp. 853–864 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Brunsch, T., Cornelissen, K., Manthey, B., Röglin, H.: Smoothed analysis of the successive shortest path algorithm. In: Proceedings of SODA, pp. 1180–1189 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Duan, R., Su, H.-H.: A scaling algorithm for maximum weight matching in bipartite graphs. In: Proceedings of SODA, pp. 1413–1424 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Matijevic, D., Sanders, P., Bast, H., Funke, S., Schultes, D.: In transit to constant time shortest-path queries in road networks. In: Proceedings of ALENEX (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Kaul, M., Wong, R.C.-W., Yang, B., Jensen, C.S.: Finding shortest paths on terrains by killing two birds with one stone. PVLDB 7(1), 73–84 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, K., Li, Y., He, F., Xu, J., Ding, Z.: Effective map-matching on the most simplified road network. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS, pp. 609–612 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Ma, S., Zheng, Y., Wolfson, O.: T-share: A large-scale dynamic taxi ridesharing service. In: Proceedings of ICDE, pp. 410–421 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Pournajaf, L., Xiong, L., Sunderam, V.S., Goryczka, S.: Spatial task assignment for crowd sensing with cloaked locations. In: Proceedings of MDM, pp. 73–82 (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Sankaranarayanan, J., Samet, H.: Query processing using distance oracles for spatial networks. IEEE TKDE 22(8), 1158–1175 (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.U, L.H., Yiu, M.L., Mouratidis, K., Mamoulis, N.: Capacity constrained assignment in spatial databases. In: Proceedings of SIGMOD, pp. 15–28 (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Wong, R.C.-W., Tao, Y., Fu, A.W.-C., Xiao, X.: On efficient spatial matching. In: Proceedings of VLDB, pp. 579–590 (2007)Google Scholar