Parallelized Software Implementation of Elliptic Curve Scalar Multiplication
- 927 Downloads
Recent developments of multicore architectures over various platforms (desktop computers and servers as well as embedded systems) challenge the classical approaches of sequential computation algorithms, in particular elliptic curve cryptography protocols. In this work, we deploy different parallel software implementations of elliptic curve scalar multiplication of point, in order to improve the performances in comparison with the sequential counter parts, taking into account the multi-threading synchronization, scalar recoding and memory management issues. Two thread and four thread algorithms are tested on various curves over prime and binary fields, they provide improvement ratio of around 15 % in comparison with their sequential counterparts.
KeywordsElliptic curve cryptography Parallel algorithm Efficient software implementation
We would like to thank Christophe Nègre for his valuable and helpful comments.
This work has been suported by a PHD grant from PAVOIS project (ANR 12 BS02 002 01).
- 1.Explicit formula database (2014). http://www.hyperelliptic.org/EFD/index.html
- 3.Bernstein, D.J., Lange, T. (eds): eBACS: ECRYPT Benchmarking of Cryptograhic Systems (2012). http://bench.cr.yp.to/. Accessed 25 May 2014
- 6.Granlund, T., The GMP Development Team: GNU MP: The GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library, 5.0.5 edition (2012). http://gmplib.org/
- 7.Hamburg, M.: Fast and compact elliptic-curve cryptography. Technical report, Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2012/309 (2012). http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 11.Kim, K.H., Kim, S.I.: A new method for speeding up arithmetic on elliptic curves over binary fields. D.P.R. of Korea, Technical report, National Academy of Science, Pyongyang(2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Langley, A.: C25519 code (2008). http://code.google.com/p/curve25519-donna/
- 16.Mueller, F.: A library implementation of POSIX threads under UNIX. In: USENIX Winter, pp. 29–42 (1993)Google Scholar
- 17.Nègre, C., Robert, J.-M.: Impact of optimized field operations AB, AC and AB + CD in scalar multiplication over binary elliptic curve. Technical report hal-00724785, HAL, July 2014Google Scholar
- 18.Gallagher, P., Furlani, C.: Digital Signature Standard (DSS). In: FIPS Publications, vol. FIPS 186-3, p. 93. NIST (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Tannenbaum, A.S.: Modern Operating Systems (2009). http://www.freewebs.com/ictft/sisop/Tanenbaum_Chapter2.pdf