Semantic Web and Business: Reaching a Tipping Point?
A discussion on the relationship between the Semantic Web and business, or perhaps more appropriately, a discussion about the usefulness to business of semantic technologies, has traditionally been framed from the perspective of technical problems with business systems and how semantic technologies solve those technical problems. In this chapter, a different approach is taken. In the first section, a brief review of the traditional applications of the Semantic Web to business is provided. In the second section of the chapter, an overview is provided on today’s business environment focusing on several key business challenges. Each of these challenges is analyzed from the perspective of semantic challenges. In the final section, a set of semantic priorities for improved relevance to business challenges are provided. This chapter limits its focus to consumer-facing businesses. Manufacturing businesses or businesses that sell products and services to other businesses are not addressed specifically. However, many of the points made in this chapter have relevance to these businesses.
KeywordsBusiness Process Sentiment Analysis Business Process Management Individual Consumer Business System
- Berlanga, R., Romero, O., Simitsis, A., Nebot, V., Pedersen, T., Abello, A., & Aramburu, M. (2012). Semantic Web Technologies for business intelligence. In M. Zorrilla, J.-N. Mazón, Ó. Ferrández, I. Garrigós, F. Daniel, & J. Trujillo (Eds.), Business intelligence applications and the web: Models, systems, and technologies (pp. 310–339). Hershey: Business Science Reference.Google Scholar
- Customer Retention, Repeat Sales, Referrals– are Business Imperatives: Bridging with Customer Satisfaction, Loyalty, Lifetime, Score (2012, March 18). http://bizshifts-trends.com/2012/03/19/customer-retention-repeat-sales-referrals-are-business-imperatives-bridging-with-customer-satisfaction-loyalty-lifetime-score/. Accessed 15 Dec 2014.
- Forrester Research. (2013, November 1). Delivering new levels of personalization in consumer engagement a guide for marketing executives: Strategy, capabilities, and technologies required for delivering effective personalization to consumers across channels. http://www.sap.com/bin/sapcom/en_za/downloadasset.2013-11-nov-21-22.delivering-new-levels-of-personalization-in-consumer-engagement-pdf.html. Accessed 1 Dec 2014.
- Grimes, S. (2014). http://www.informationweek.com/software/information-management/semantic-web-business-going-nowhere-slowly/d/d-id/1113323?image_number=1. Accessed 11 Jan 2014.
- Hepp, M., Leymann, F., Bussler, C., Domingue, J., Wahler, A., & Fensel, D. (2008). Semantic business process management: Using semantic web services for business process management. http://dip.semanticweb.org/documents/Hepp-et-al-Semantic-Business-Process-Management-Using-Semantic-Web-Services-for-Business-Pro.pdf. Accessed 1 Dec 2014.
- McComb, D. (2004). Semantics in business systems: The Savvy managers guide. San Francisco: Morgan Kaufman.Google Scholar
- Monetate. (2013, June 21). From big data to big personalization. http://content.monetate.com/h/i/12311817-from-big-data-to-big-personalization. Accessed 1 Dec 2014.
- O’Brien, D. (2014, September 12). CMO insights on omnichannel personalization in retail—brand quarterly. http://www.brandquarterly.com/cmo-insights-omnichannel-personalization-retail/. Accessed 14 Dec 2014.
- Siegel, D. (2009). Pull: The power of the semantic web to transform your business. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar