Detection and Recognition of Road Markings in Panoramic Images
The detection of road lane markings has many practical applications, such as advanced driver assistance systems and road maintenance. In this paper we propose an algorithm to detect and recognize road lane markings from panoramic images. Our algorithm consists of four steps. First, an inverse perspective mapping is applied to the image, and the potential road markings are segmented based on their intensity difference compared to the surrounding pixels. Second, we extract the distance between the center and the boundary at regular angular steps of each considered potential road marking segment into a feature vector. Third, each segment is classified using a Support Vector Machine (SVM). Finally, by modeling the lane markings, previous false positive detected segments can be rejected based on their orientation and position relative to the lane markings. Our experiments show that the system is capable of recognizing \(93\,\%\), \(95\,\%\) and \(91\,\%\) of striped line segments, blocks and arrows respectively, as well as \(94\,\%\) of the lane markings.
- 2.Rebut, J., Bensrhair, A., Toulminet, G.: Image segmentation and pattern recognition for road marking analysis. In: IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, vol. 1, pp. 727–732 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Maeda, T., Hu, Z., Wang, C., Uchimura, K.: High-speed lane detection for road geometry estimation and vehicle localization. In: SICE Annual Conference, 2008, pp. 860–865 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, Y., He, K., Jia, P.: Road markers recognition based on shape information. In: 2007 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 117–122 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Noda, M., Takahashi, T., Deguchi, D., Ide, I., Murase, H., Kojima, Y., Naito, T.: Recognition of road markings from in-vehicle camera images by a generative learning method. In: Proceedings of the IAPR Conference on Machine Vision Applications (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Wu, T., Ranganathan, A.: A practical system for road marking detection and recognition. In: Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), pp. 25–30. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Foucher, P., Sebsadji, Y., Tarel, J.P., Charbonnier, P., Nicolle, P.: Detection and recognition of urban road markings using images. In: 2011 14th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), pp. 1747–1752 (2011)Google Scholar