Model for Evaluation and Cost Estimations of the Automated Testing Architecture
In the automated testing, finding an optimal architecture of the scripts and level of structuring to reusable objects from an economic point of view could become a challenging task. The optimality of the architecture of automated test scripts is context dependent and many factors are playing role in the final economics of the test automation project. To support this task with an exact method, we propose a model for evaluation of the automated testing architecture. This model is based on principal structural elements, which can be identified in the automated test scripts. Elements are then composed the particular architecture and for each of them, a set of properties and metrics are defined. Using the proposed metrics, more accurate estimations of implementation and maintenance costs can be performed for the particular architecture and test automation case, especially reflecting duplicity and reuse ratio of the code.
KeywordsTest Automation Architecture of Automated Test Scripts Reusable Objects Model Estimations Economics Implementation Costs Maintenance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rafi, D.M., et al.: Benefits and limitations of automated software testing: Systematic lit-erature review and practitioner survey. In: 7th International Workshop on Automation of Software Test (AST), Zurich, Switzerland, pp. 36–42 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Berner, S., Weber, R., Keller, R.K.: Observations and lessons learned from automated testing. In: Proceedings of the 27th international Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2005), pp. 571–579. ACM, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Barry, M.M., et al.: Automated software testing system, US patent 8312436 B2 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, C.: Test automation method for software programs, US patent 7930683 B2 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Kawakami, L., Knabben, A., Rechia, D., Bastos, D., Pereira, O., Pereira e Silva, R., dos Santos, L.C.V.: An Object-Oriented Framework for Improving Software Reuse on Automated Testing of Mobile Phones. In: Petrenko, A., Veanes, M., Tretmans, J., Grieskamp, W. (eds.) TestCom/FATES 2007. LNCS, vol. 4581, pp. 199–211. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar