Creating Smart Tests from Recorded Automated Test Cases
In order to shorten time to market many software development teams have adopted continuous integration and automated testing. Although user interface test automation is a suitable solution for Agile development, the resulting frequently changing application gives rise to challenging task, especially from the point-of-view of maintenance. In this paper, we present an approach bypassing those drawbacks through test recording enhanced by post-processing that creates smart tests that are easy to maintain. We have analyzed recorded tests and created step signatures that we then use to find a sequence of common steps. Based on this, we identify reusable parts which we consequently optimize using algorithms that are introduced in this paper to remove inefficient duplications in tests.
KeywordsAutomated Testing Test Recording Common Sequences Reusable Objects Test Set Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anand, B.R., Krishnankutty, H., Ramakrishnan, K., Venkatesh, V.C.: Business Rules-Based Test Automation: A Novel Approach for Accelerated Testing, pp. 21–28. SETLabs Briefing (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Bohme, M., Paul, S.: On the Efficiency of Automated Testing. In: Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering, pp. 632–642. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Fewster, M., Graham, D.: Software Test Automation: Effective Use of Test Execution Tools. Addison-Wesley Professional, ACM Press Books (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Filipsky, M., Bures, M., Jelinek, I.: Finding Common Subsequences in Recorded Test Cases. In: ICSEA 2013, pp. 51–54. IARIA (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Goulding, S., Arunthavarajah, P., Florio, T., Hertyk, J.: BlackHorse: Creating Smart Test Cases from Brittle Recorded Tests. Software Quality Journal, 293–310 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Hoffman, D.: Cost Benefits Analysis of Test Automation. White paper. Software Quality Methods (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Kaner, C.: Software Test Automation: A Real-World Problem. White paper. In: Los Altos Workshop on Software Testing pp. 1–3 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Lonngren, D.D.: Reducing the cost of test through reuse. In: AUTOTESTCON 1998, Salt Lake City, USA, pp. 48–53. IEEE Press (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Nogueira, S., Sampaio, A., Mota, A.: Test generation from state based use case models. In: Formal Aspects of Computing, pp. 1–50 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Shewchuk, Y., Garousi, V.: Experience with Maintenance of a Functional GUI Test Suite using IBM Rational Functional Tester, pp. 489–494. SEKE (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Skoglund, M., Runeson, P.: A case study on regression test suite maintenance in system evolution. In: Proceedings of 20th IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance, pp. 438–442. IEEE Computer Society Press (2004)Google Scholar