A Variable Neighborhood Search Approach for the Interdependent Lock Scheduling Problem
We investigate a so far not examined problem called the Interdependent Lock Scheduling Problem. A Variable Neighborhood Search approach is proposed for finding lock schedules along the Austrian part of the Danube River in order to minimize the overall ship travel times. In computational experiments the performance of our approach is assessed and compared to real-world ship trajectories. Notable improvements can be achieved. In addition, the number of (empty) lockages can be significantly reduced when taking them into account during optimization without loosing too much of quality in travel time optimization.
KeywordsInterdependent lock scheduling problem Variable neighborhood search
We want to thank our project partners viadonau– Österreichische Wasserstraßen-Gesellschaft mbH and Zentralanstalt für Meteorologie und Geodynamik for providing us valuable insights into meteorological as well as nautical processes and challenges related to them as well as providing us relevant data.
- 1.Asamer, J., Prandtstetter, M.: Estimating ship travel times on inland waterways. In: TRB (ed.) TRB Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers. 14–3020 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Coene, S., Spieksma, F.C.R.: The Lockmaster’s problem. In: Caprara, A., Kontogiannis, S. (eds.) 11th Workshop on Algorithmic Approaches for Transportation Modelling, Optimization, and Systems. OpenAccess Series in Informatics (OASIcs), vol. 20, pp. 27–37. Schloss Dagstuhl–Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik, Dagstuhl (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Dolinsek, M., Hartl, S., Hartl, T., Hintergräber, B., Hofbauer, V., Hrusovsky, M., Maierbrugger, G., Matzner, B., Putz, L.M., Sattler, M., Schweighofer, J., Seemann, L., Simoner, M., Slavicek, D.: Handbuch der Donauschifffahrt. bmvit (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.European Commission: Action plan accompanying the european union strategy for the danube region (2010). http://www.danube-region.eu/component/edocman/action-plan-eusdr-pdf
- 5.European Commission: European union strategy for danube region (2010). http://www.danube-region.eu/component/edocman/communication-of-the-commission-eusdr-pdf
- 6.European Commission: Roadmap to a single european traffic transport area - towards a competitive and resource efficient transport system (2011). http://ec.europa.eu/transport/strategies/doc/2011_white_paper/white_paper_com(2011)_144_en.pdf
- 7.European Commission: EU transport in figures: statistical pocketbook 2013. Publications Office of the European Union (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Verstichel, J.: The lock scheduling problem. Ph.D. thesis, KU Leuven Faculty of Engineering Science (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.viadonau: Locked-through vessel units (2014). http://www.donauschifffahrt.info/en/facts_figures/statistics/locked_through_vessel_units/