A Lightweight Provenance Pingback and Query Service for Web Publications
Web resources, such as publications, datasets, pictures and others can be directly linked to their provenance data, as described in the specification about Provenance Access and Query (PROV-AQ) by the W3C. On its own, this approach places all responsibility with the publisher of the resource, who hopefully maintains and publishes provenance information. In reality, however, most publishers lack incentives to publish the provenance of resources, even if the owner would like such information to be published. Currently, it is very intricate to link existing resources to new provenance information, either provided by the owner or a third party. In this paper, we present a solution for this problem by implementing a lightweight, read/write provenance query service, integrated with a pingback mechanism, following the PROV-AQ recommendation.
- [DF08]Davidson, S.B., Freire, J.: Provenance and scientific workflows: challenges and opportunities. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD), pp. 1345–1350. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- [DNMV+13]De Nies, T., Magliacane, S., Verborgh, R., Coppens, S., Groth, P., Mannens, E., Van de Walle, R.: Git2PROV: exposing version control system content as W3C PROV. In: Proceedings of the Posters & Demonstrations Track within the12th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), pp. 125–128. CEUR-WS, Aachen (2013)Google Scholar
- [DWW+11]Dalman, T., Weitzel, M., Wiechert, W., Freisleben, B., Noh, K.: An online provenance service for distributed metabolic flux analysis workflows. In: Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Web Services (ECOWS), pp. 91–98. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2011)Google Scholar
- [GJM+06]Groth, P., Jiang, S., Miles, S., Munroe, S., Tan, V., Tsasakou, S., Moreau, L.: An Architecture for Provenance Systems. Technical report, University of Southampton, February 2006Google Scholar
- [KGM+13]Klyne, G., Groth, P., Moreau, L., Hartig, O., Simmhan, Y., Myers, J., Lebo, T., Belhajjame, K., Miles, S.: PROV-AQ: Provenance Access and Query, W3C (2013)Google Scholar
- [Vla13]Vlaeminck, S.: Data management in scholarly journals and possible roles for libraries-some insights from edawax. Liber Quart. J. Assoc. Eur. Res. Libr. 23(1), 48–79 (2013)Google Scholar