3-D Histogram-Based Segmentation and Leaf Detection for Rosette Plants
Recognition and segmentation of plant organs like leaves is one of the major challenges in digital plant phenotyping. Here we present a 3-D histogram-based segmentation and recognition approach for top view images of rosette plants such as Arabidopsis thaliana and tobacco. Furthermore a euclidean-distance-map-based method for the detection of leaves and the corresponding plant leaf segmentation method were developed. An approach for the detection of optimal leaf split points for the separation of overlapping leaf segments was created. We tested and tuned our algorithms for the Leaf Segmentation Challenge (LSC). The results demonstrate that our method is robust and handles demanding imaging situations and different species with high accuracy.
Keywords3-D Histogram thresholding Euclidean distance map Graph analysis Leaf counting Leaf segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Henderson, A., Ahrens, J., Law, C.: The ParaView Guide. Kitware, Clifton Park (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Minervini, M., Abdelsamea, M.M., Tsaftaris, S.A.: Image-based plant phenotyping with incremental learning and active contours. Ecological Informatics (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Scharr, H., Minervini, M., Fischbach, A., Tsaftaris, S.A.: Annotated image datasets of rosette plants. Tech. rep. (2014). http://juser.fz-juelich.de/record/154525
- 13.Schneider, C.A., Rasband, W.S., Eliceiri, K.W., Schindelin, J., Arganda-Carreras, I., Frise, E., Kaynig, V., Longair, M., Pietzsch, T., Preibisch, S., et al.: 671 nih image to imagej: 25 years of image analysis. Nature methods 9(7) (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Walter, A., Scharr, H., Gilmer, F., Zierer, R., Nagel, K.A., Ernst, M., Wiese, A., Virnich, O., Christ, M.M., Uhlig, B., et al.: Dynamics of seedling growth acclimation towards altered light conditions can be quantified via growscreen: a setup and procedure designed for rapid optical phenotyping of different plant species. New Phytologist 174(2), 447–455 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar