On Calibration of a Low-Cost Time-of-Flight Camera
Time-of-flight (ToF) cameras are becoming more and more popular in computer vision. In many applications 3D information delivered by a ToF camera is used, and it is very important to know the camera’s extrinsic and intrinsic parameters, as well as precise depth information. A straightforward algorithm to calibrate a ToF camera is to use a standard color camera calibration procedure , on the amplitude images. However, depth information delivered by ToF cameras is known to contain complex bias due to several error sources . Additionally, it is desirable in many cases to determine the pose of the ToF camera relative to the other sensors used.
In this work, we propose a method for joint color and ToF camera calibration, that determines extrinsic and intrinsic camera parameters and corrects depth bias. The calibration procedure requires a standard calibration board and around 20–30 images, as in case of a single color camera calibration. We evaluate the calibration quality in several experiments. The code for the calibration toolbox is made available online.
KeywordsDepth Image Intrinsic Parameter Joint Optimization Color Camera Amplitude Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cui, Y., Schuon, S., Chan, D., Thrun, S., Theobalt, C.: 3d shape scanning with a time-of-flight camera. In: CVPR, pp. 1173–1180 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Hansard, M.E., Evangelidis, G., Horaud, R.: Cross-calibration of time-of-flight and colour cameras. CoRR 1401.8092 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Intel: Intel creative gesture camera. http://click.intel.com/creative-interactive-gesture-camera-developer-kit.html
- 5.Kim, Y.M., Chan, D., Theobalt, C., Thrun, S.: Design and calibration of a multi-view tof sensor fusion system. In: IEEE CVPR Workshop on Time-of-flight Computer Vision, pp. 1–7. IEEE, Anchorage (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Schäfer, H., Lefloch, D., Nair, R., Lenzen, F., Streeter, L., Cree, M.J., Koch, R., Kolb, A.: Technical foundation and calibration methods for time-of-flight cameras. In: Grzegorzek, M., Theobalt, C., Koch, R., Kolb, A. (eds.) Time-of-Flight and Depth Imaging. LNCS, vol. 8200, pp. 3–24. Springer, Heidelberg (2013) Google Scholar
- 11.Unnikrishnan, R., Hebert, M.: Fast extrinsic calibration of a laser rangefinder to a camera. Tech. rep., Robotics Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, July 2005Google Scholar