Finding Network Motifs Using MCMC Sampling
Scientists have shown that network motifs are key building block of various biological networks. Most of the existing exact methods for finding network motifs are inefficient simply due to the inherent complexity of this task. In recent years, researchers are considering approximate methods that save computation by sacrificing exact counting of the frequency of potential motifs. However, these methods are also slow when one considers the motifs of larger size. In this work, we propose two methods for approximate motif finding, namely SRW-rw, and MHRW based on Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) sampling. Both the methods are significantly faster than the best of the existing methods, with comparable or better accuracy. Further, as the motif size grows the complexity of the proposed methods grows linearly.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gjoka, M., Kurant, M., Butts, C.T., Markopoulou, A.: Walking in Facebook: A Case Study of Unbiased Sampling of OSNs. In: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1–9 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Itzkovitz, S., Alon, U.: Subgraphs and network motifs in geometric networks. Physical Review E, Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter PhysicsGoogle Scholar
- 9.Li, X., Stones, D.S., Wang, H., Deng, H., Liu, X., Wang, G.: Netmode: Network motif detection without nauty. PLoS One 7(12) (December 2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Milo, R., Kashtan, N., Itzkovitz, S., Newman, M.E.J., Alon, U.: On the uniform generation of random graphs with prescribed degree sequences (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Ribeiro, P., Silva, F.: G-tries: an efficient data structure for discovering network motifs. In: Proc. ACM Symp. on Applied Computing, pp. 1559–1566 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, P., Lui, J., Ribeiro, B., Towsley, D., Zhao, J., Guan, X.: Efficiently estimating motif statistics of large networks. ACM Trans. Knowl. Discov. Data 9(2) (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Yan, X., Han, J.: gspan: Graph-based substructure pattern mining. In: Proc. of 2nd International Conference on Data Mining, pp. 721–724. IEEE Computer Society (2002)Google Scholar