Metrics for the Evaluation of Feature Models in an Industrial Context: A Case Study at Opel
[Context & motivation] Feature models are used in product line engineering to document possible product configurations on the feature level. [Problem] In order to quantify the success of adopting feature modeling in practice, we need to understand the industry relevant metrics for feature model evaluation. [Solution] In order to identify the metrics a Goal-Question-Metric approach was used in the context of a case study conducted at Adam Opel AG. [Contribution:] We identified seven goals (quality criteria) we should strive for and evaluate when using feature models. Furthermore, we identified 18 sub-goals, 27 questions and corresponding metrics. The metrics were used to reflect on the feature modeling conducted at the company.
KeywordsFeature modelling Evaluation GQM House of Quality Automotive Opel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kang, K.C., Cohen, S.G., Hess, J.A., Novak, W.E., Peterson, A.S.: Feature-oriented domain analysis (foda) feasibility study. Technical report, DTIC Document (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Madu, C.N.: House of quality (QFD) in a minute: Quality function deployment. Chi Publishers Inc. (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Caldiera, V.R.B.G., Rombach, H.D.: The goal question metric approach. Encyclopedia of Software Engineering 2(1994), 528–532 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Petersen, K., Feldt, R., Mujtaba, S., Mattsson, M.: Systematic mapping studies in software engineering. In: 12th International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering, vol. 17, p. 1 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Sundmark, D., Petersen, K., Larsson, S.: An exploratory case study of testing in an automotive electrical system release process. In: 2011 6th IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Embedded Systems (SIES), Vasteras, Sweden, June 15–17 , 2011, pp. 166–175 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Pascoe, N.: Reliability Technology: Principles and Practice of Failure Prevention in Electronic Systems. John Wiley & Sons (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Pohl, R., Stricker, V., Pohl, K.: Measuring the structural complexity of feature models. In: 2013 IEEE/ACM 28th International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE), pp. 454–464. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Štuikys, V., Damaševicius, R.: Measuring complexity of domain models represented by feature diagrams. Information Technology and Control 38(3), 179–187 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Berger, T., Guo, J.: Towards system analysis with variability model metrics. In: The Eighth International Workshop on Variability Modelling of Software-intensive Systems, VaMoS 2014, p. 23 (2014)Google Scholar