Quality Control of Environmental Measurement Data with Quality Flagging
We discuss quality control of environmental measurement data. Typically, environmental data is used to compute some specific indicators based on models, historical data, and the most recent measurement data. For such a computation to produce reliable results, the data must be of sufficient quality. The reality is, however, that environmental measurement data has a huge variation in quality. Therefore, we study the use of quality flagging as a means to perform both real-time and off-line quality control of environmental measurement data. We propose the adoption of the quality flagging scheme introduced by the Nordic meteorological institutes. As the main contribution, we present both a uniform interpretation for the quality flag values and a scalable Enterprise Service Bus based architecture for implementing the quality flagging. We exemplify the use of the quality flagging and the architecture with a case study for monitoring of built environment.
Keywordsquality control quality flagging enterprise service bus environmental data built environment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Williams, M., Cornford, D., Bastin, L., Pebesma, E.: Uncertainty markup language (UncertML),OpenGIS Discussion Paper 08-122r2, Open Geospatial Consortium Inc. (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Vejen, F. (ed), Jacobsson, C., Fredriksson, U., Moe, M., Andresen, L., Hellsten, E., Rissanen, P., Palsdottir, T., Arason, T.: Quality Control of Meteorological Observations. Automatic Methods Used in the Nordic Countries.Climate Report 8/2002, Norwegian Meteorological Institute (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Chappell, D.A.: Enterprise Service Bus: Theory in Practice. O’Reilly (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Williams, M., Cornford, D., Ingram, B., Bastin, L., Beaumont, T., Pebesma, E., Dubois, G.: Supporting interoperable interpolation: the INTAMAP approach. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Environmental Software Systems, Prague (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Skön, J.-P., Kauhanen, O., Kolehmainen, M.: Energy Consumption and Air Quality Monitoring System. In: Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing, pp. 163–167 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Skön, J.-P., Johansson, M., Kauhanen, O., Raatikainen, M., Leiviskä, K., Kolehmainen, M.: Wireless Building Monitoring and Control System. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 65, 706–711 (2012)Google Scholar