Automatic Evaluation of Area-Related Immunogold Particles Density in Transmission Electron Micrographs
Immunogold particles are used in electron microscopy to determine sub-cellular location of biological relevant macromolecules, such as proteins, lipids, carbohydrates, and nucleic acids. In this paper an algorithm is proposed which enables automatic evaluation of the immunogold particles density in transmission electron micrographs. The introduced algorithm combines two different feature localization approaches. Coarse locations of the immunogold particles are recognized by image convolution with a Gaussian prototype and a multi-scale filtering is used to refine the locations. This algorithm was evaluated by using micrographs of human colorectal carcinoma cells. A higher accuracy of the immunogold particles detection was achieved in comparison with a state-of-the-art method. The improved detection accuracy enables a more precise evaluation of the area-related immunogold particles density.
KeywordsImage processing Immunogold labeling Electron microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bułdak, R.J., Skonieczna, M., Matysiak, N., Wyrobiec, G., Kukla, M., Michalski, M., Żwirska-Korczala, K.: Changes in subcellular localization of visfatin in human colorectal HCT-116 carcinoma cell line after cytochalasin B treatment. European Journal of Histochemistry 58(3), 239–246 (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Kołodziejczyk, A., Ładniak, M., Piórkowski, A.: Constructing software for analysis of neuron, glial and endothelial cell numbers and density in histological NISSL-stained rodent brain tissue. Journal of Medical Informatics Technologies 23, 77–86 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Płaczek, B., Bułdak, R.J., Polaniak, R., Matysiak, N., Mielanczyk, Ł., Wojnicz, R.: Detection of immunogold markers in images obtained from transmission electron microscopy. Journal of Medical Informatics Technologies 23, 111–118 (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Porwik, P., Sosnowski, M., Wesolowski, T., Wrobel, K.: A computational assessment of a blood vessel’s compliance: a procedure based on computed tomography coronary angiography. In: Corchado, E., Kurzyński, M., Woźniak, M. (eds.) HAIS 2011, Part I. LNCS, vol. 6678, pp. 428–435. Springer, Heidelberg (2011) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Saluja, R., Jyoti, A., Chatterjee, M., Habib, S., et al.: Molecular and biochemical characterization of nitric oxide synthase isoforms and their intracellular distribution in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Molecular Cell Research 1813(10), 1700–1707 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar