Time-Bounded Reachability Problem for Recursive Timed Automata is Undecidable
Motivated by the success of bounded model checking framework for finite state machines, Ouaknine and Worrell proposed a time-bounded theory of real-time verification by claiming that restriction to bounded-time recovers decidability for several key decision problem related to real-time verification. In support of this theory, the list of undecidable problems recently shown decidable under time-bounded restriction is rather impressive: language inclusion for timed automata, emptiness problem for alternating timed automata, and emptiness problem for rectangular hybrid automata. The objective of our study was to recover decidability for general recursive timed automata(RTA)—and perhaps for recursive hybrid automata—under time-bounded restriction in order to provide an appealing verification framework for powerful modeling environments such as Stateflow/Simulink. Unfortunately, however, we answer this question in negative by showing that time-bounded reachability problem stays undecidable for RTA with 5 clocks.
KeywordsRecursive state machines Timed automata Reachability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abdulla, P.A., Atig, M.F., Stenman, J.: Dense-timed pushdown automata. In: Proceedings of the 27th Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science. LICS, pp. 35–44 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Benerecetti, M., Minopoli, S., Peron, A.: Analysis of timed recursive state machines. In: Proceedings of 17th International Symposium on Temporal Representation and Reasoning TIME, pp. 61–68 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Mazurkiewicz, A., Winkowski, J.: Reachability analysis of pushdown automata: Application to model-checking. In: Mazurkiewicz, A., Winkowski, J. (eds.) CONCUR 1997. LNCS, vol. 1243, pp. 135–150. Springer, Heidelberg (1997) Google Scholar
- 9.Krishna, S.N., Manasa, L., Trivedi, A.: Improved undecidability results for reachability games on recursive timed automata. In: Proceedings of Fifth International Symposium on Games, Automata, Logics and Formal Verification GandALF, pp. 245–259 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Minsky, M.L.: Computation: finite and infinite machines. Prentice-Hall, Inc. (1967)Google Scholar
- 11.Rumbaugh, J., Jacobson, I., Booch, G.: The unified modeling language reference manual. Addison-Wesley-Longman (1999)Google Scholar