Modeling Swarm Robotics with KnowLang
Swarm robotics has emerged as a paradigm whereby intelligent agents are considered to be autonomous entities that interact either cooperatively or non-cooperatively. The concept is biologically-inspired and offers many advantages compared with single-agent systems, such as: greater redundancy, reduced costs and risks, and the ability to distribute the overall work among swarm members, which may result in greater efficiency and performance. The distributed and local nature of these systems is the main factor in the high degree of parallelism displayed by their dynamics that often results in adaptation to changing environmental conditions and robustness to failure. This paper presents a formal approach to modeling self-adaptive behavior for swarm robotics. The approach relies on the KnowLang language, a formal language dedicated to knowledge representation for self-adaptive systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ASCENS: ASCENS - Autonomic Service-Component Ensembles. ascens-ist.eu (2014). http://www.ascens-ist.eu/
- 2.Bonani, M., Baaboura, T., Retornaz, P., Vaussard, F., Magnenat, S., Burnier, D., Longchamp, V., Mondada, F.: marXbot, Laborotoire de Systemes Robotiques (LSRO), Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne. mobots.epfl.ch (2011). http://mobots.epfl.ch/marxbot.html
- 3.Serbedzija, N., Hoch, N., Pinciroli, C., Kit, M., Bures, T., Monreale, G., Montanari, U., Mayer, P., Velasco, J.: D7.3: Third Report on WP7 Integration and Simulation Report for the ASCENS Case Studies. ASCENS Deliverable (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Vassev, E., Hinchey, M.: Autonomy requirements engineering. In: Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration (IRI 2013), pp. 175–184. IEEE Computer Society (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Vassev, E., Hinchey, M.: Autonomy requirements engineering: A case study on the bepicolombo mission. In: Proceedings of C* Conference on Computer Science & Software Engineering (C3S2E 2013), pp. 31–41. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Vassev, E., Hinchey, M.: On the autonomy requirements for space missions. In: Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on Object/Component/Service-oriented Real-time Distributed Computing Workshops (ISCORCW 2013). IEEE Computer Society (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Vassev, E., Hinchey, M., Gaudin, B.: Knowledge representation for self-adaptive behavior. In: Proceedings of C* Conference on Computer Science & Software Engineering (C3S2E 2012), pp. 113–117. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Vassev, E., Hinchey, M., Montanari, U., Bicocchi, N., Zambonelli, F., Wirsing, M.: D3.2: Second Report on WP3: The KnowLang Framework for Knowledge Modeling for SCE Systems. ASCENS Deliverable (2012)Google Scholar