Cloud Computing Reduces Uncertainties in Quality-of-Service Matching!
Cloud computing resulted in a continuously growing number of provided software services to be used by consumers. Brokers discover services that fit best to consumers’ requirements by matching Quality-of-Service (QoS) properties. In order to negotiate Service-Level Agreements (SLAs), a provider has to determine the provided QoS based on QoS analyses. However, the risk for the provider to violate the SLA is high as the service’s actual quality can deviate from the specified QoS due to uncertainties that occur during the provider’s quality analysis. In this paper, we discuss current software engineering paradigms like cloud computing and service-oriented computing with respect to the amount of uncertainty they induce into service matching and SLA negotiations. As a result, we explain, why cloud computing reduces such uncertainties.
KeywordsCloud computing Quality-of-service matching Uncertainty
This work was supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG) within the Collaborative Research Center “On-The-Fly Computing” (CRC 901).
- 1.Becker, M., Luckey, M., Becker, S.: Performance analysis of self-adaptive systems for requirements validation at design-time. In: 9th International Conference on Quality of Software Architectures. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Patiniotakis, I., Rizou, S., Verginadis, Y., Mentzas, G.: Managing imprecise criteria in cloud service ranking with a fuzzy multi-criteria decision making method. In: Lau, K.-K., Lamersdorf, W., Pimentel, E. (eds.) Service-Oriented and Cloud Computing, vol. 8135, pp. 34–48. Springer, Heidelberg (2013) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Perez-Palacin, D., Mirandola, R.: Uncertainties in the modeling of self-adaptive systems: a taxonomy and an example of availability evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 5th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering, ICPE ’14, pp. 3–14. ACM, New York (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Platenius, M.C.: Fuzzy service matching in on-the-fly computing. In: Proceedings of the Doctoral Symposium of the 9th Joint Meeting of the European Software Engineering Conference (ESEC) and the ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE). ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Platenius, M.C., von Detten, M., Becker, S., Schäfer, W., Engels, G.: A survey of fuzzy service matching approaches in the context of on-the-fly computing. In: 16th International Symposium on Component-based Software Engineering. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Szyperski, C.: Component Software: Beyond Object-oriented Programming. Pearson Education, Harlow (2002)Google Scholar