Restoration of Phase-Contrast Cardiovascular MRI for the Construction of Cardiac Contractility Atlases
- 1.9k Downloads
Cardiac Atlases are promising tools for the interpretation of functional and anatomical structures of the heart. Myocardial viability is reflected by both global and regional contractile abnormalities. Atlases incorporating contractility information of a population can assist the diagnosis of myocardial disease and myocardial infarction. For the analysis of myocardial contractility phase-contrast MRI (PC-MRI) is emerging as a valuable clinical tool. The myocardial velocity distribution depicted by PC-MRI provides important insights into the intrinsic mechanics of the heart. As with many imaging techniques, there is an inherent trade-off between imaging resolution and noise. The main purpose of this study is to reduce the noise exhibited in phase-contrast MRI by applying a total variation restoration algorithm. The restoration algorithm has been evaluated on a spiral phase-contrast MRI sequence from a group of normal subjects. The results have shown that the proposed method is able to restore the myocardial velocity distribution whilst preserving the fidelity of the underlying contractile behavior.
KeywordsRestoration Total Variation Contractor Atlas Cardiac Atlas Phase Contrast MRI Myocardial Contractility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ordas, S., Oubel, S., Sebastian, R., Frangi, A.F.: Computational anatomy atlas of the heart. In: Proceedings of the 5th ISPA 2007, vol. 8, pp. 338–342 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Rougon, N.F., Petitjean, C., Prêteux, F.J.: Building a 4D atlas of the cardiac anatomy and motion using MR imaging. SPIE Medical Imaging 2, 253–264 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Codreanu, I., Robson, M.D., Golding, S.J., Jung, B.A., Clarke, K., Holloway, C.J.: Longitudinally and circumferentially directed movements of the left ventricle studied by cardiovascular magnetic resonance phase contrast velocity mapping. J. Cardiovasc. Magn. Reson. 12, 48 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.Ng, Y., Yang, G.: Vector-valued image restoration with applications to magnetic resonance velocity imaging. In: WSCG, vol. 37(2), pp. 58–61 (February 2003) Google Scholar
- 22.Huntbatch, A., Lee, S.-L., Firmin, D., Yang, G.-Z.: Bayesian motion recovery framework for myocardial phase-contrast velocity MRI. Med. Image Comput. Comput. Assist. Interv. 11(Pt 2), 79–86 (2008)Google Scholar
- 23.Simpson, R., Keegan, J., Gatehouse, P., Hansen, M., Firmin, D.: Spiral tissue phase velocity mapping in a breath-hold with non-cartesian SENSE. Magn. Reson. Med. (2013)Google Scholar